Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone

First of all, I love my 2006 Range Rover 4.4 HSE. so far 140000 miles on the one I am using since 2012. Besides the usual maintenance which, I am able to do because of previous mechanical knowledge; I practically have no major problem with it.
I have gone thru the most common codes and even air suspension leaks. Some I come to understand and deal with. I am currently replacing most of the cable: Door, hood, tailgate etc... when they fail

I love the car so much, that I recently purchased another one from a friend with an overheating problem. So far, the radiator seems to be fine. The Thermostat is replaced. There is no leak that I can detect, The car has 147000 on the clock. I am told that the initial problem had to do with the water pump and was replaced.

Symptom: The car will run for 20-30 minutes at normal temperature before the fan accelerates and the temperature gauge starts moving very fast to the red zone." I usually turn off the car by then"

I do my best to bleed the system correctly on a few occasion

I am afraid that I am dealing with a blown head gasket. Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Welcome to the forum; lots of good folks to help with your problems.

Does your oil look milky? If so, blown head gasket for sure. If not, still could be blown. Dealership or a real Land Rover indy can tell you for sure.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Use the an infared temp gun to shoot temps on the upper and lower hoses. Also hit the rad with it check top, middle and bottom on the left and right side. Let us know what you find

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses.
One other thing that I realize is that: The radiator does not seem to radiate heat thru its entire surface. The right side is hot, the left side is cold. There seems to a problem with the circulation. I am assuming
This AM I started the car. The car run for 30 minutes with the temp gauge normal. After that, the gauge started to move toward the red area. I had to turn it off.

I was told by the previous owner that the dealer said: 99% head gasket without checking it.

I am thinking if I should start removing the head. My problem is the timing chain. Any Idea?

No milky oil in the engine

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
I would trouble shoot the cooling system before I made assumptions. A head gasket job is going to be costly in both parts, machine work and specialty tools.

Your already confirming a lack of flow through the radiator so why not confirm the radiator is clogged and refresh the cooling system. If you still need to do head gaskets this will need to be addressed or your going to have the same problem,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thank you all, especially Army Rover.

I do agree with you.
I did check the radiator. It was found to be unclogged. I replaced the thermostat with a new one from the dealer.
I did try to calculate the cost of doing the head gasket job, it is extensive and expensive. I am capable of doing the job and have the time as well, minus the timing chain which presents some difficulty which I can research in the meantime.
I am going to make sure that circulation can be restored and followup on any progress made. please do not hesitate if there is any new advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, Army rover,

I used the infrared temperature gauge. I noticed a considerable temp difference from the upper and lower hoses as well as the radiator. I still noticed a lack of coolant flow thru the system. my next step will be to do a leak down test.

I will keep you posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts