Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon.
My hood release cable is either snapped or disconnected. When pulling on the inside to release the latch and open the hood, nothing happens. The lever on the inside does snap back to the rest position. How can I open the hood, is there a trick or emergency mechanism? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I do not know about the LR3 but it might be like a D2. On the D2 you can take a pair of pliers and pull the cable sideways to unlatch the hood. Look at the center of the grill, just beside the locking mechanism, for the cable which runs from the latch to the inside of the cabin. It is hard to pull but at least on a DII, you can unlock it by pulling hard toward the headlight. No need to remove anything.

Let us know if this works. When you replace the cable, tie the new cable to the old cable and use the old cable to pull it through the firewall. Otherwise you will never get it through. Not a hard job at all to replace.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 06 came disconnected at the junction box between the 2 cables. I was able to get it open without breaking anything.

Release the two clips on the front and pull the bottom out as far as you can. Reach up in between and find the cable going from the driver side latch to passenger side latch. It is tucked up just above the radiator.

Give that a yank to release the passenger side. Then release the safety latch. Pry up the open side as much as you can and start releasing the top clips of the grille by using a long flat blade screwdriver. I was able to release one at a time and slowly twist out the entire front grille. Once that is out you can release the driver side latch easy with a screwdriver.

The little junction box that connects the two cables together simply popped open and a cable came loose. I recommend putting a zip tie around the junction box to keep it from opening in the future. Auto part Pipe Vehicle

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good afternoon.
My hood release cable is either snapped or disconnected. When pulling on the inside to release the latch and open the hood, nothing happens. The lever on the inside does snap back to the rest position. How can I open the hood, is there a trick or emergency mechanism? Thanks for your help.
The fix on this...it was the cable that was disconnected at the junction, the plastic broke and one end of the cable slipped out.
I was able to slip my hand through the grill and pull on the cable and got the passenger side latch on the hood to pop. This allowed the hood to lift and was able to pop the latch on the driver's side and open the hood. I replaced the plastic junction and lubed the cable. I would suggest a lubing of the hood cable couple times a year, mine seems to be rusted a bit and maybe what led to the break in the plastic junction box. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Thanks for the follow up on the fix

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 06 came disconnected at the junction box between the 2 cables. I was able to get it open without breaking anything.

Release the two clips on the front and pull the bottom out as far as you can. Reach up in between and find the cable going from the driver side latch to passenger side latch. It is tucked up just above the radiator.

Give that a yank to release the passenger side. Then release the safety latch. Pry up the open side as much as you can and start releasing the top clips of the grille by using a long flat blade screwdriver. I was able to release one at a time and slowly twist out the entire front grille. Once that is out you can release the driver side latch easy with a screwdriver.

The little junction box that connects the two cables together simply popped open and a cable came loose. I recommend putting a zip tie around the junction box to keep it from opening in the future. View attachment 76737
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET OR THE AFTERMARKET PART NUMBER FOR THE JUNCTION BOX? I somehow managed to lose the little connector inside of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.