Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2007 LR3 with 129K on it, and miraculously, has been a solid vehicle.

Anyone have any wisdom on replacing air suspension system VS removing it and installing a coil spring/struts system?

Costs seem to be pretty even, unless I am missing something....

Plse advise and Thanks!

john

·
Registered
263 Posts
Keep the air suspension. It's higher maintenance but it's just better. It's central the LR3's design and a lot of the magic happens because of that EAS, especially off-road. If you replace the compressor and maybe the front shocks, you'll get another 100,000 miles of joy, for maybe about $2500. Converting to coils is sort of....idk....lame, in my opinion.

I know a lot of people have done the conversion, so hopefully one of them will chime in and give another perspective. I am biased.

·
very disco
1,842 Posts
Yeah coil swapping is a cop out.

if you walk into a dealer you’ll lose your shirt fixing the EAS, but if you do your own work, no prob.

·
Registered
263 Posts
idk...up here near Seattle, my dealership experience is different than others' reported experience. Maybe it's because I've been going there religiously for 15 years and have established relationships, but mostly I go in there and say "I want this and that done, and NOT this other thing" and they are very cooperative. With older Rovers now especially, they know they have competition from indie shops and they have adapted a lower labor rate for "classic" Rovers.

I've even had them install aftermarket shocks for me.

·
very disco
1,842 Posts
Which dealer are you enjoying working with?

ive recently tried to work with JLR of Tacoma at Fife, and they were not at all cooperative, insisting that I pay them $1700 for something I ended up doing myself for $80 (plus the cost of owning a nanocom).

admittedly I’ve never tried Seattle or Bellevue but they’re not super conveniently located for me.

Reactions: Jboa

·
Registered
263 Posts
JLR Seattle and Bellevue are both owned by the same dude, and while most of "my people" are at Seattle (actually in Lynnwood) my go-to Tech is in Bellevue and I know a few of the guys in the Parts Dept there as well.

Should you have any real needs, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the name of some good Service Advisors at Lynnwood. I assume you're somewhere south of Tacoma then....?

·
very disco
1,842 Posts
I was living in federal way but I’ve recently moved to Orting. My office is in lynnwood, love that commute lol.

I’ve used LBR Automotive on bel-red a few times for warranty work on my new engine, they’ve seemed pretty decent, but there’s a great indie in federal way who’s done all of my “heavy lifting” for me that I pay OOP.

thankfully I don’t foresee any dealer visits in my future

·
Registered
263 Posts
Don't jinx yourself!! :)

My wife is from F-Dub! Anyway if your office is in Lynnwood it sounds like that can be a reasonable place to take it. Drop it off, get a service loaner, grab a slice of pizza at Sorelli's in Mountlake Terrace....almost makes you WANT to break something!

·
very disco
1,842 Posts
Haha I don’t make it to the office too terribly often, and when I do I take the hybrid

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow so this is friggin’ weird , I am in Boulder and might be moving soon to Seattle - already have Old Rover help and where to get a slice so might have to, now...

thanks all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah coil swapping is a cop out.

if you walk into a dealer you’ll lose your shirt fixing the EAS, but if you do your own work, no prob.
I have a good indy guy, how many hours of labour is this? No way I can do it!

·
Registered
2005 LR3 SE V6 w/Coils & 2008 LR3 SE V8 HD w/ 2.5” rod lift
18 Posts
So I have two LR3s, A 2005 withb165k and a 2008 with 200k. The 05’s EAS failed at 160k miles and I was not interested in doing any work myself, found a reputable indie shop and had them run the numbers. I was quoted $4500-6500 for eas system replacement and it all depended on what the found as they tore into it. We decided to go with the coil over from Atlantic British and I think it was $3000-ish. Now, I’m not going to defend their pricing nor my ignorance on how easily it is to work on these cars. I had only had the dealer fix anything up to that point and that included a warranty full engine replacement at 75k miles (cam shaft, another story.) My wife had always preferred to lower the LR3 to get in and out of it as she has the shorter legs. That being said we went with the “on road height” coil springs. Huge mistake. It sits lower than stock “standard height” and I hate how it looks. How does it drive, you ask? Wonderfully different. I reminds me of floating along in an old Defender. It corners great, break and acceleration stability is possibly better than air ride was. It’s composed but not as rigid as the factory air set up. There was however, a significant break in period. In the beginning a full tank of fuel would drop the back a full inch. After about 3000 miles that all seemed to go away, but honestly I think it dropped lower overall height again at that point and just settled in. Beyond the ride height issue, it feels like a different truck. Not worse, not better, just different. After a few thousand more miles, I actually enjoyed the spry and sprung ride more and more although at highway speeds it never felt as stable as the old EAS.

Now, my 2008, new to me this year and impeccably maintained, has the EAS functional. Not perfect but darn close. Previous owner had replaced front driver air strut with OEM unit from LR at about 170k miles. I believe she paid $1600 all in with labor and stuff. She had just replaced the compressor with a used unit, and I may end up replacing that again based on how it sounds. Not horrible but not right, ok for now. The front passenger strut developed a small leak, so I proactively replaced it myself. For less than $300 and a couple hours of my time. It was SO EASY. And has worked perfectly even on two off road trips and a week in the mountains of CO.
Turns out, there’s just not that much to the elusive EAS. There are air lines, The compressor, a small tank, some funny connectors, 4 height sensors, three valve blocks, and 4 struts... oh, and some wires. Easy enough to diagnose, and all kinds of videos on YouTube on how to do it.

So, in hindsight, and with both coils and air, and going forward, I’m all in on the air system for the 08. My only reason for not going back to air on the 05 is that I now plan for it to be my rock crawling rig with much larger tires than the air system would allow vs a lifted coil over system. And that leaves my 08 to be the daily driver and overland setup.

I hope my experience helps someone!

“Land Rover, Turning ordinary guys into mechanics for 70 years”

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had an 05 LR3 and after a few issues with the EAS decided to go with the coil conversion. I had a local Inde shop do it and it was around $1600 all in. They used the Old Man Emu HD ones from Atlantic British. We did this at 154k and just sold it with 225k. I really love the air suspension in them but not dealing or worrying about any issues was well worth it. My only issues with the coil were the back end would sag a little pulling a trailer or if we had a heavy load in the back (almost a pallet of sod...) but other than that it was great. The HD version gives you a little lift which looks good as well. I wish they made an even heavier duty rear set up for hauling things but 99% of the time you don't even need it. I'd do the coil again if we had a high mile one.

·
very disco
1,842 Posts
Man... doing the work myself, I was less than $1600 in on my RRS. I replaced both front bags, upgraded to AMK, replaced two valve blocks, and snagged a spare EAS and ATC computer.

a mixed bag of parts from scrappers, eBay, and retailers. I’d never pay $4k to rebuild my EAS, but if I didn’t have the means... it might be another story

Reactions: PatriotLandyTX

·
Registered
1 Posts
I gotta ask... Why on earth would you want to replace with springs? Sort of ruins the experience I would have thought and rebuilding the air shocks is not really that difficult, Getting them out is a bit of a pain but the rebuild itself is fairly straight forward.

·
very disco
1,842 Posts
I used to dabble in Jaguar also (I’m a glutton for punishment). I cherished my XJS V12 and could never understand why everybody was throwing 350s under the hood! Sure it’s easier, louder, maybe even faster... but nothing is SMOOTHER than EAS... I mean V12... maybe both.

·
Registered
2005 LR3 SE V6 w/Coils & 2008 LR3 SE V8 HD w/ 2.5” rod lift
18 Posts
How do you have a 2005 with a V6??? @PatriotLandyTX
I purchased It early in 2007 as a 2 year lease return originally sold in California. It’s kind of an odd duck honestly. It’s a total base model. I think it may have been one of the very first batches offered here in the states. No auto lights, Halogen headlights without washers, standard rear view mirror, no front fog lights, But it does have 3rd row seats and rear air. Admittedly I did not do my homework before buying, I was super busy with new baby, major remodel, expanding business... anyway, it’s a somewhat rare v6 with air suspension as they did not offer a coil version stateside.
That being said, it’s actually a great engine. Not much difference in useable torque and unless you load it up, perfectly adequate power on the freeway even 90+ mph. I have not had it at higher elevation, but I’d imagine it’s a dog above 10k feet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts