Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy:

Since labour to get the dash out is so friggin' expensive, and I can not do this myself, can they tell BEFORE they get in under this thing if the entire system has to be replaced or if it is just the "heating coil" piece?

My fans, blowers work fine but are blowing ice cold air -- I am heading back to Denver soon so....have to fix this thing right away -- and it worked back in April up in the mountains, if that matters.

Thank you !

John

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
Do you get any warm air from the top right-most vent? If it’s just the heat exchanger, there’s a (somewhat janky but) totally serviceable workaround which allows you to replace that without a complete dash removal.

it’s not uncommon for the exchanger to clog on the driver side of these things

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you get any warm air from the top right-most vent? If it’s just the heat exchanger, there’s a (somewhat janky but) totally serviceable workaround which allows you to replace that without a complete dash removal.

it’s not uncommon for the exchanger to clog on the driver side of these things
Thank you Reverand! I will check that out in the AM...

anything on YouTube that you know of?

Man this could save my butt, I will look at it tomorrow as I am in warm weather right now...

John

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
I can dig up an old post where I outlined it... just confirm there’s a difference in temp between left and right dash vents first, or at least confirm to your satisfaction that it’s the exchanger

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can dig up an old post where I outlined it... just confirm there’s a difference in temp between left and right dash vents first, or at least confirm to your satisfaction that it’s the exchanger
It is all cool air from all the vents, no discernible difference from one side to the other I am afraid...

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
dang it. warmer air on the right side confirms the failure of the exchanger, but cold air everywhere does neither confirm nor deny its operation.

if you have the vehicle warmed up, pop the hood and check for warmth on the lines running into the dash. if they are hot near the engine and cool down toward the firewall, that indicates that heated coolant is not flowing through. you might also be able to drop the glove box or toe kick and feel the lines under the dash.

if you cap the lines and try to flush the heater, you'll know immediately if you can move water through it or not.

Reactions: Jboa
1 - 6 of 6 Posts