Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I read a couple of threads talking about the return of the Defender to the US, and I have done some serious searching for a pic or two of it, but have not found a thing on the net.

Does anyone have any intel on it?

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know...me too. I still kick myself in the arse for not buying a 95 Defender 90 with 4800 miles on it when I had the chance back in 97...

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
The title of this post got my hopes up..... Guess i'll keep waiting!
Just out of curiosity... why are they not here in the USA now?

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Actually, emissions are the least of their problems. My 110 just went through with almost no detectable HC and CO was way below 2004 standard.
Problem is with no side impact beams, bumpers, A pillar, and, obviously, no SRS.

· Registered
528 Posts
Nothing some slider, ARB/RoverTyme/etc.. front/rear bumper, fullbody rollcage, and a rapid-deploy pool floatie can't fix. :beer:

· Registered
115 Posts
http://rovering.squarespace.com/display/ShowJournalEntry?moduleId=197041&entryId=285629&printerFriendly=true

Looks as thought they are planning to make ford's version of the honda pilot. "As a "marque" vehicle they no longer going to be a basic work horse.......ultimately Defender is 4x4 work horse........." WTF do they mean by that BS....... Seriously ford has turned a great vehicle into a FORD POS, I know ford has done a lot to make Land Rover sell and there by keeping it afloat, but how can they totally F things up. The defender was a prominent and iconic vehicle and how could they just churn out a POS like this, I know its still a concept drawing but still, IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT....... at first I was a bit weary but open to the idea of ford owning the Land Rover brand, but now I think all they churn out is POS's the GT40 included and the new mustang all big no good POS's. I know its sacraligous to say this but...... the J**P Unlimited Rubicon with dana 44 axles locking front and rear diffs and 10.5 inches of clearance is starting to look better and better the more I see LR3's and RRS...... Sigh.......... what happened to the good 'ol days with Defenders and RRC's were the best off-road vehicles and Land Rover still had some meaning and flavor and invoked a sense of nostalgia and visions of safari's accross the serengetti...... Now Land Rover just means bling, sigh.........

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ricky,

You're right, WTF is this?

"Land Rover were also adamant that they are a prestige brand (part of Ford’s Premier Auto Group), and therefore that a new Defender should not be a basic workhorse."

My first observation is whether Ford has gotten Land Rover addicted to crack to get them to say they are adamant about this...

Are they saying that because the Defender is part of Ford's Premier Auto Group, it shouldn't be a capable vehicle, it should just be an oversized grocery-getter like a Lincoln Navigator? I thought the Defender was prestigious because of its capabilities as a work horse 4x4.

This kind of talk worries me greatly...

· Registered
115 Posts
Likewise....... and what does the market offer for a true off-roader these days a J**P Rubicon with "Locking" front and rear diffs......... sigh.......... what happened with the Defender????? I guess its a lost cause I guess.........

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
cellulararrest said:
It has been talked about for ages. The year keeps getting pushed out. For awhile it was 2006. Then last year I heard 2007. Now you're saying 2008. Who knows. I just wish they'd hurry up.

Well supposedly its comming out late 2007 as a 2008 model.

· Registered
528 Posts
could this be in time to compete with toyota's new FJ coming out? The FJ looks a bit cooler and toyota seemed to keep its FJ roots intact. Numbers will tell it's future.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I'm not sure why everyone is getting all cranked up. Nowhere in the article does it say that Rolo Dixon was hired by Land Rover. His concept designs are simply that: His.
Both Land Rover, and Ford have made it pretty clear, that design function will remain with Land Rover. Use of a Ford designated engine or other drive train componant doesn't imply that their use is mandated by Ford, but it would stand to reason that using something built by the group or the groups other members, or Ford themsleve, seems logical. Land Rover hasn't built their own engine for some time now, opting for engines already built and used in other succesfull vehicles, Jag or BMW, possibly Volvo in future renditions of the Freelander. So where's the problem in using one previously used in the Explorer? The 4.0 liter V6, available since 1991 has a long and succesfull track record. It's performance certainly exceeds that of the 4.0 Rover engine, both in BHP and torque.
One Britsh automotive designer's concept doesn't constitute a crisis, before the fact, in my book, so why everyone gets all worked up is beyond me. I can't imagine a logical thinking decision maker ignoring the obvious departure from the one which has become known as the symbol of Land Rover heritage, but on the otherhand, I couldn't blame the decision makers for turning a deaf ear to crying and whining kneejerk reactionary opinions of one of many 'independant' concept sketches. Nor can I expect Ford or Land Rover to lend credance to a bunch of Ford bashers, whose prime concern seems to be to bash Ford.
I certainly don't have any presumption that any 'new' Defender will look like one thats been around for 21 years, but I also don't expect it will look as rediculous as what Rolo Dixon thinks it ought to look like.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
OkieRover said:

Uh, yeah. Not a chance.

Maybe they haven't read any of the NTSB's articles on safety.
A fuel cell in front of the passengers???
Not in North America.

WHY???????? WHY????????????WHY??????????????? I hope that they keep the d-series a off-road capeable rig......

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
OkieRover said:

Uh, yeah. Not a chance.

Maybe they haven't read any of the NTSB's articles on safety.
A fuel cell in front of the passengers???
Not in North America.
Maybe not in front, but perhaps underneath would be suitable. The new 2007 wrangler switched its gas tank with its muffler so now the tank sits underneath the passenger's seat. It was to meet rear crash test standards.

· Registered
707 Posts
WOW that concept is a complete POS. WTF why can't they just give us our damn D90 back? man I have to stop looking at that concept pic i'm gonna go blow chunks now. :complain: :bawling:

· Registered
28 Posts
Hi all

I do not think that you poor guys in the states will ever see a real defender being sold there again, it just does not meet your rules.

The defender in it's current form fails in several areas, emissions is not one of them because all you do is stick a modern comon rail diesel under the bonnet & bingo. But do not use the vehicle where it could mean life or death, in other words do not take it to the middle of knowhere on safari where if the electronic's fail you are stuffed !

Could be an amazing epitaph on the headstone " Died due to crankshaft sensor failure in the outback "

The areas a defender causes concern are head impact on interior, ie no passenger airbag. Not pedestrian freindly, they tend to splat on the front end rather than being given a nice smooth ride over the bonnet & over the roof !

Declining market share is the final nail in the coffin, people are going soft and want the silly gimicks they find in their cars and will not tolerate leaks, rattles and the many other things that people like myself love about the defender & just accept as being characteristic.

I would hate to see a defender that becomes a soft useless go nowhere 4x4 with lots of chrome, alloy wheels & plastic. Just shoot it & put it out of it's misery.

all the best Roy

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.