Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum but have been reading for awhile and greatly appreciate all of the information. My question/problem is with a Transmission fault that I have not been able to resolve. I have a 2008 LR3 with 112,000 miles, has been running fine but I have been getting this code for about a month. Other threads suggested replacing battery, which I did with an Interstate battery, no change in code. I also replaced the brake light switch, without any change in the code. I bought a icarsoft code reader, and found a "Transmission fluid temperature high" code, which returns immediately even after clearing. I have not been able to easily find information on a transmission fluid temperature sensor, only thing I have been able to find on the parts websites is a wiring harness that includes a sensor. Does anyone know if I just need to replace then entire wiring harness or just the sensor? Is this a job for a DIY person or a definite dealership project? Thanks for any information or suggestions.

·
1,855 Posts
Maybe it has leaked Trans fluid and its low. Have done the trans fluid/filter/pan? Also check that your tail and brake lights are working properly if not replace with LR types. I also suggest you have it checked at an indy LR reputable shop.
Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you set a "temperature high" fault and the transmission is clearly cold, then the temp sensor is likely faulty. The unfortunate thing, is the temp sensor is built into the TCM, which is part of the valve body (aka Mechatronics).

This "can" be a DIY fix if:
1) purchase the Mechatronics from ZF Parts Eriksson Industries This will be a genuine remanufactured ZF item, and will come pre-programmed based on your VIN, which makes it "plug & play".

2) Removing the transmission pan on these is a pain. It involves loosening motor mounts, jacking up on motor and removing exhaust. I have found on LR3 and RRS, it is easier to purchase a BMW X5 metal pan, gasket, bolts and filter and just breaking the old pan and filter off.

The Mechatronics is bolted in with about 10 Torx bolts. The unit will come with a new seal to the case, I suggest you use it. I also recommend using Lifeguard6 fluid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.