Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured this would be a good community to throw this up I have had this issue with my 2009 Range Rover and I've had it with two other models this is got to be one of the most frustrating things to happened to a guy buying one of these second-hand trucks. The dreaded nav screen Frozen on the discovery sign and the radio having no sound whatsoever and not showing the volume indicator as you turn the knob up or down and your steering wheel volume will not work as well. I live in Calgary Alberta Canada I have had this Range Rover at the dealership three times have spent over $500 and they could not solve my issue. They told me to go buy a new amp go buy a new head unit go by a new navigation screen, so instead of spending tons of money at Land Rover I know a local scrap yard and that scrap yard let me personally pull three of each navigation screen radios and amplifiers from the vehicle just to try.
I'd like to clear one thing up as well that somebody might encounter when they go to the dealership the dealership will tell you that if a new amp gets installed in this particular vehicle or the head unit it needs to get recalibrated this is 1000% false there is no such thing as recalibration on one of these amps or one of these head units, I know because I was a sucker and I believe them and I showed up with multiple units for them to try none of which of them worked.
I replace the amp with three different amplifiers I replace the head unit with three different head units I replaced the navigation screen with three different navigation screens all fails, I pulled the seats out I pulled the paneling out on the rear left side and right side of the vehicle traced wires tested wires everything came back fine, the dealership told me they would perform a fiber optic test to make sure my complete fiber optic system was functioning as it should, I told them I had read the Bluetooth module fail sometimes he said not to worry we will shoot the entire system and see if there is a failure, they did pull the dash apart they did shoot the system they did see a loss of communication to the amplifier but had no idea why, yes I have disconnected the battery put a brand new battery in done the touching the two cables together letting it sit overnight every single factory reset you could do I pulled every single fuse out of this truck and put them back in twice, and my Range Rover had the dreaded water leak through the sunroof and would pull up behind the passenger seat under the carpet yes I sucked all the water out no the water did not do any damage to the wires as the wires are sealed and should be able to be submerged underwater just comfortably as long as connections at the ends are dry, the second time taking it to the dealership I asked him again did you test the Bluetooth module they said no they hadn't I asked them if you were going to shoot the entire fiber optic system why would you not check the thing in the back that fails the most which is the thing I brought up as soon as I came in here asking you guys to check, these monkeys at the dealership had no idea what they were doing they weren't sure what to check they were calling other dealerships all over the province asking for help finally they tested the fiber optics in the back realized my satellite radio box was failing they took the satellite radio box out of the connection and then all of a sudden my navigation screen would come back to life and work still no sound, now I asked them if they did a loop at the Bluetooth module in the back so the two fiber optics would shoot light at each other and the tech even spoke to me on the phone for 30 minutes and said oh yeah we definitely did the loop I said okay so you put an extra clip on so the two ends are touching each other he said oh yeah the loop just means when it goes into the unit and comes back out the other side this is absolutely false, they sent me on my way did not charge me the last bill as they couldn't fix the issue, I left the truck in the garage for a few days pissed off not even wanting to look at it finally I pulled all the paneling off again, I ripped the fiber optics out of the Bluetooth module in the back right panel held both ends together so the red light would touch the other end of the fiber optic boom radio came to life immediately they told me they did a loop clearly they have no idea what doing a fiber optic loop actually means I don't know how they test these Bluetooth modules or even if it got pulled out and bench tested but that failed as well I guess everything in that rear part of the truck has really bad moisture issues and at some point in the vehicle's life if you live in Canada you are definitely going to have some issues sooner or later.

I don't know if this is going to help anybody but I literally went through hell and back to get the sound working on this vehicle and from what I've read online it is 99.9% always the modules in the back right hand side of these vehicles the amps rarely fail the head units almost never fail there is no reason for the navigation screen to ever fail but these external units at the back of the vehicle always have issues.

Moral of the story sometimes dealerships no jackshit about their own vehicles, anybody that has this issue I encourage you to get a buddy pull the right side panel out in the back disconnect every single one of those modules everyone take all the extra fiber optic connections off and only use the two cables running the length of the vehicle get a guy to hold those two ends together and turn your car on and I guarantee you'll have sound again, I didn't spend the money online I didn't buy a fancy clip all I did was use electrical tape and tape these two ends tightly together and it works just fine.

I hope this helps anybody get their music back

·
Registered
1 Posts
I figured this would be a good community to throw this up I have had this issue with my 2009 Range Rover and I've had it with two other models this is got to be one of the most frustrating things to happened to a guy buying one of these second-hand trucks. The dreaded nav screen Frozen on the discovery sign and the radio having no sound whatsoever and not showing the volume indicator as you turn the knob up or down and your steering wheel volume will not work as well. I live in Calgary Alberta Canada I have had this Range Rover at the dealership three times have spent over $500 and they could not solve my issue. They told me to go buy a new amp go buy a new head unit go by a new navigation screen, so instead of spending tons of money at Land Rover I know a local scrap yard and that scrap yard let me personally pull three of each navigation screen radios and amplifiers from the vehicle just to try.
I'd like to clear one thing up as well that somebody might encounter when they go to the dealership the dealership will tell you that if a new amp gets installed in this particular vehicle or the head unit it needs to get recalibrated this is 1000% false there is no such thing as recalibration on one of these amps or one of these head units, I know because I was a sucker and I believe them and I showed up with multiple units for them to try none of which of them worked.
I replace the amp with three different amplifiers I replace the head unit with three different head units I replaced the navigation screen with three different navigation screens all fails, I pulled the seats out I pulled the paneling out on the rear left side and right side of the vehicle traced wires tested wires everything came back fine, the dealership told me they would perform a fiber optic test to make sure my complete fiber optic system was functioning as it should, I told them I had read the Bluetooth module fail sometimes he said not to worry we will shoot the entire system and see if there is a failure, they did pull the dash apart they did shoot the system they did see a loss of communication to the amplifier but had no idea why, yes I have disconnected the battery put a brand new battery in done the touching the two cables together letting it sit overnight every single factory reset you could do I pulled every single fuse out of this truck and put them back in twice, and my Range Rover had the dreaded water leak through the sunroof and would pull up behind the passenger seat under the carpet yes I sucked all the water out no the water did not do any damage to the wires as the wires are sealed and should be able to be submerged underwater just comfortably as long as connections at the ends are dry, the second time taking it to the dealership I asked him again did you test the Bluetooth module they said no they hadn't I asked them if you were going to shoot the entire fiber optic system why would you not check the thing in the back that fails the most which is the thing I brought up as soon as I came in here asking you guys to check, these monkeys at the dealership had no idea what they were doing they weren't sure what to check they were calling other dealerships all over the province asking for help finally they tested the fiber optics in the back realized my satellite radio box was failing they took the satellite radio box out of the connection and then all of a sudden my navigation screen would come back to life and work still no sound, now I asked them if they did a loop at the Bluetooth module in the back so the two fiber optics would shoot light at each other and the tech even spoke to me on the phone for 30 minutes and said oh yeah we definitely did the loop I said okay so you put an extra clip on so the two ends are touching each other he said oh yeah the loop just means when it goes into the unit and comes back out the other side this is absolutely false, they sent me on my way did not charge me the last bill as they couldn't fix the issue, I left the truck in the garage for a few days pissed off not even wanting to look at it finally I pulled all the paneling off again, I ripped the fiber optics out of the Bluetooth module in the back right panel held both ends together so the red light would touch the other end of the fiber optic boom radio came to life immediately they told me they did a loop clearly they have no idea what doing a fiber optic loop actually means I don't know how they test these Bluetooth modules or even if it got pulled out and bench tested but that failed as well I guess everything in that rear part of the truck has really bad moisture issues and at some point in the vehicle's life if you live in Canada you are definitely going to have some issues sooner or later.

I don't know if this is going to help anybody but I literally went through hell and back to get the sound working on this vehicle and from what I've read online it is 99.9% always the modules in the back right hand side of these vehicles the amps rarely fail the head units almost never fail there is no reason for the navigation screen to ever fail but these external units at the back of the vehicle always have issues.

Moral of the story sometimes dealerships no jackshit about their own vehicles, anybody that has this issue I encourage you to get a buddy pull the right side panel out in the back disconnect every single one of those modules everyone take all the extra fiber optic connections off and only use the two cables running the length of the vehicle get a guy to hold those two ends together and turn your car on and I guarantee you'll have sound again, I didn't spend the money online I didn't buy a fancy clip all I did was use electrical tape and tape these two ends tightly together and it works just fine.

I hope this helps anybody get their music back
Wow, this is the first thorough post on this issue I've found. I have a 2006 Range Rover Sport and just encountered this issue last week. I tried the different methods as well and left frustrated pulling panels apart, replacing the amp, unplugging the battery etc. I really appreciate all of this info as I'm just stuck. Is the modules you are speaking of in the rear passenger side?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts