Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all fellow Disco and LR owners,

I got a 1993 200Tdi, who has started to use water. I dread expensive problems.
I have not been succesfull in finding the source of the leak, but I did notice water driping last time I lifted the vehicul (got a friend with a garage...a must when it comes to old LRs ;)) The dripping came from the back of the engine, on the right side, and it seems to apear at the top of the engine. However, I am quite sertain there is no water inside that part of the engine, so I consider the source to be further to the front of the engine (possible around the termostat housing), and that the air flow has pushed the water all the way back.

I belive to fill a litre of water every couple of houndreds KM.

Any suggestions of where to search, or even how to search?

Kai

·
Registered
76 Posts
That water could be just a coincidence, and the headgasket could have blown. Is there any mixing of water/ oil, and is there any steam from the exhaust?

Im not sure of the layout on these vehicles, but could it be a leaking heater matrix pipe?

HTH

·
Registered
76 Posts
Takes more like 5 minutes, ive done it several times. But you will still get charged for the hours labour!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only water and the coolant is leaking - no oil. Cannot find any steams neither.

I will try to pressurise the system - however - what would that do for me? Is it likely to show where the leak is?

Thanks for your answeres and help! :clap:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Water leak?

Hi Roer,
Is the water coming from anywhere near one of the core plugs? Just a thought but you never know.
Bryan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Brian,

what is a core plug (sorry, lack of english knowlegde)?
And most importantly - where on the engine is it located?

Br,

Kai

·
Registered
5 Posts
core plug

The core plugs (sometimes called frost plugs or expansion plugs) are the circular depressions on the sides of the cylinder block. I am not sure of the exact location on the 200tdi but I will check tomorrow and post again.
Bryan :drive:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Leaking Disco

Common fault, has happened to mine twice, and is currently leaking. Its' one of the rubber hoses going to the heater. It's perished.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, thanks all :)

I will check the plugs - after a cleaning of the engine.

Will also check all hoses!

kai

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
leak found

Hi again,

sorry for my slow replys...

At last - after an engine clean, it seems like the water is leaking from where one of the fuel injectors (the one closest to the cabin/back of the vehicule) is connected to the engine.
The leak only occures when the cooling system is presurized (makes sense, probably).

It seems like the water is comming from where the injector is pushed into the engine block.

Any ideas what causes this, and most importantly - how to fix it?

Thanks all!

Kai

1 - 11 of 11 Posts