Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my head gaskets replaced in November 2018, (8 months ago) and it keeps overheating. A month ago we took it back or our mechanic and he ran some dye and a camera through the coolant system and couldn't find anything. He added some sealant thinking there was a pinhole and said to drive it. Last week the overheating notification alarm came back on. I checked the reservoir and it appeared to be a little low so I added some coolant, which our mechanic said we might need to do from time to time. This morning I got in and the check engine light came on. I checked the reservoir and it was completely full to the cap. As I twisted the cap it bubbled and coolant started coming out. Any ideas? Could it be the head gasket again? Our mechanic said to sell it and start over. haha.
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
1,818 Posts
I've had my head gaskets replaced in November 2018, (8 months ago) and it keeps overheating. A month ago we took it back or our mechanic and he ran some dye and a camera through the coolant system and couldn't find anything. He added some sealant thinking there was a pinhole and said to drive it. Last week the overheating notification alarm came back on. I checked the reservoir and it appeared to be a little low so I added some coolant, which our mechanic said we might need to do from time to time. This morning I got in and the check engine light came on. I checked the reservoir and it was completely full to the cap. As I twisted the cap it bubbled and coolant started coming out. Any ideas? Could it be the head gasket again? Our mechanic said to sell it and start over. haha.
Thanks for any suggestions.
I own 2 LR3's 4.4's V8. Never have any issues with them. Is possible that you need a new radiator or and a water pump.
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Air in the system. This happened to me when I replace the thermostat and water pump on my LR3. You have to totally bleed the system using the bleed valve or you will have constant overheating issues. I bled mine using the bleed valve as well as filling up the system through the thermostat housing until all the air was purged out of the system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts