Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember I previously had a Disco 2, well, last winter I sold it. But the green oval has a hold on me and so last Sunday I bought a 2011 RRSC. It's black on black and in pretty reasonable shape. Has 240k Kms or about 150k miles. It's not been saftied yet as I wanted to address a couple things before I put it on the road, it has a bit of play in the passengers side tie rod end and I have a slight clunk in the brakes at low speed but nothing major. A little maintenance and it'll be fine.
I do have a coolant smell...its mostly at the drivers side under the hood, but I did notice the smell while driving but I'm pretty sure it's just wafting in through the vents while driving...that being said there's no puddles under the truck and I haven't seen any white residue anywhere. I briefly saw someone mention a plastic y pipe under the SC, I haven't looked into that any further as of yet.

Is there anything else major I should address since I'm in a motivated state for once? Obviously I'm going to have the oil changed and a full tune-up. There are no dash lights on at all

Sorry for the long post, I know this place is a wealth of information, and any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So bad news, looking like there's some coolant under the supercharger....I thought it may be the water pump but there's fresh orange silicone so I'm thinking it may have been changed, also the pulley looks newer than the rest of them....what's under the SC that could leak coolant? Any comments? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don't see any coolant under the vehicle because it gets trapped and heated up in the valley as a kind of sticky goo under the SC. If you let this leak persist, it will blow all the coolant out and you may be faced with a HUGE engine repair bill plus the hoses. Fix it ASAP!

There are two long hoses and a short one under the SC. Changing the hoses requires removal of the SC, which means removing a lot of other stuff: radiator shroud, fan, serpentine belt, and so forth. It's a real b**ch getting it all apart, but it goes back together quite easily, especially if you have the proper hose clamp pliers. Without those pliers, this job is nearly impossible. Changing to screw clamps when you reassemble it is a bad idea - restricted acces won't allow a screw or nut driver to some of the clamps and screw clamps aren't as good at providing even clamping force all the way around the hose ends. The correct tool makes it go back together quicker, too.

I have photos of the job I did on mine. It looks pretty scary and it does take a lot patience. All of those hoses are quite costly, but cheaper than an overheated engine.

Mine had 150.000 miles, so I replaced every hose under the hood plus some others while I had it all apart - it's labor intensive. I also replaced the oil in the SC, and I installed a new serpentine belt and the coolant. Pull the water pump off. If it's suspect, replace it while everything is apart. Have all the hoses in hand before taking it apart. Take photos as you dismantle things, compare the old hoses to the new hoses and label them as you go so you get them back on properly. Be aware of the orientation of the clamps so you can get it back together quickly.

Fix this leak as soon as possible. I wouldn't drive it like that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just trying to source a couple hoses now, I got the supercharger coupler and oil already and I'm looking for the upper gasket for the supercharger...unless it's OK to put back together with RTV? I usually like to put a gasket back in if I've taken one out but i also know alot of cars use RTV right from the factory...my Charger uses rtv for basically everything.
Just curious why the fan needs to come off? I did a little poking around the other day and it looked pretty straight-forward, I had a Disco2 before the l322 and this thing has MILES of space under the hood compared to the Disco especially since the cabin filter box can come out and opens up even more space at the back of the engine.

Could you post a link to your pics, it doesn't seem to be a very well documented repair at least from my Google searches anyway. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also which hose clamp tool do you have?.....I have the proper spring clamp tool.....has a long cable attached to a spring loaded handle etc........ the single ear clamps you just cut off and replace with new ones, I have the crimping tool for those as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also which hose clamp tool do you have?.....I have the proper spring clamp tool.....has a long cable attached to a spring loaded handle etc........ the single ear clamps you just cut off and replace with new ones, I have the crimping tool for those as well.
I know the hose clamp tool you have. I have one like it and found it to be clumsy and bulky in many tight spots. For this job I used a Snap-On ($$$) hose clamp tool (my neighbor is the Snap-On guy around here and he gives me a deal). here;'s a similar took that works great for 1/6th of the Snap-On price:

Email me at [email protected] for tool photos and engine photos. You'll also need a tool to remove the fan clutch and the serpentine belt.I wish you were closer - I'd loan you the tools.
RE: gaskets - use gaskets, not RTV. It's too much work to shortcut anything on this job. I took off the fan because I wanted to remove the water pump and the belt.
I replaced valve cover gaskets while doing this because I didn't want to go back in there again and one of them was seeping a bit - staining,not leaking. I replaced spark plugs, too.

If you want to talk about room to work on things under the hood, get an '88 Range Rover. Now that's easy! I often miss my old '88, but not when it's really cold (lousy heat and defrost) or very hot (terrible A/C) or going uphill on a highway with a trailer (gutless). But the '88 is better looking from any angle, offers better visibility, and doesn't look like everything else on the road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks, I'll send an email later today. I've watched a few videos on YouTube but there's not nearly the info on there as there is about the 4.2. Would be nice if more dealers or even independents would make videos...I know Atlantic British does a really good job of making how to videos but again, there's not alot on the 5.0l.....I wonder if one of the Jag sites would be a better resource? Either way, Im not overly worried about it....working on these doesn't scare me as much as it does some people....mainly the cost of parts is the scary part lol
I do like to get a good visual of what I need to do before hand. Again, it looks straightforward enough just time consuming.....one of those, start on Saturday and finish on Sunday type of deals lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts