Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife's 12' supercharged RRS is making a slight knocking/rattle sound that seems to be coming from the front of the engine. It doesn't have that exhaust leak ticking noise but more of a rattle/knocking sound. I tried searching but didn't find anything pertaining to this.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Timing chains are most likely rattling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The supercharger nose cones are notorious for knocking as well as the timing chains. One way to differentiate the noises is, when shutting off the engine, the supercharger will give you a couple rattles after the engine is off. If this is the same knock you are hearing, then the nose cone is your issue. If not..... It's the timing chain tensioners and tensioner guides. (they are updated parts to correct this issue)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I pulled the supercharger belt and started the car and the rattle was gone however there was a ticking sound but maybe that was just the supercharger moving from the intake air moving through it. Will it be okay to drive until we can get a replacement part? I found this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-Ran...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Here's a video of the noise with the belt removed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its safe to drive it just makes noise its a rubber insulator from the pulley snout to the input drive wheel for the charger assy. You can replace it by just lifting up the supercharger off of the cylinder heads its not too bad to do. Get new supercharger gaskets and update the oil cooler feed tube if it is still the old styl.

·
Registered
2011 RRSC. 2004 Disco 2 *RIP*
86 Posts
That's the supercharger coupler if im not mistaken....mine makes the same noise....theres a spring loaded coupler and the spring is what breaks and just rattles around...ive seen a few threads in other forums of the entire coupler breaking into pieces as well but I think the most common issue is the spring. You do have to pull the supercharger to fix the issue. I suggest changing the supercharger oil as well. Use AC Delco oil and I personally purchased a new coupler from ZZP Performance....they make a very good coupler and is a popular upgrade for many Eaton superchargers....its the same unit as on GM 3.8l supercharged engines (M90 S/C) and is of very good quality...I bought the oil and coupler from ZZP and it was under $80 canadian.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here’s a video.

Thing I don't get is why it only does it when it's left out in the cold (below freezing) for more than a few hours

When the vehicle is started in heated garage it makes no noise

·
Registered
86 Posts
I seem to remember there being an issue with the clutch fan that makes a noise like that....probably not the supercharger imo. You could eliminate the S/C as the issue by taking the belt off and fire it up and see if the noise is still there....I suspect it's the clutch fan tho since the noise goes away....timing chain noise doesn't go away and it's the wrong sort of (typical) noise that the S/C makes.
Clutch fan isn't a major job to fix btw....probably not overly expensive either.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can't say for sure, I'm not saying 100% that's what it is, it's just something cheap and fairly easy to eliminate as being the issue. It's also another common problem area.

If it were me, that's where I'd start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
**** Jordanj im glad you added the vid of your rover tick, yes that tick is 100% the fan clutch, it still functions as designed just makes that noise for some reason, my fathers rover from the same year 5.0 supercharged just had this issue a couple of months ago. new fan clutch will eliminate the noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.