Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced rotors on more than a few vehicles but never my LR4. A few of the YouTube videos say to put the parking brake into service mode beforehand. Some using a tool, others by manually doing it and oulling the fuse. Is it really necessary to to that if I don't activate the parking brake? Most of my other vehicles I just pull the rotor and slide another right on...what's different about the LR4 that it is suggested?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, OK. I guess this will just be one of those pay a shop cars :( Local shop wants $1500 for the rear brakes so I guess I'll make an appointment. Kinda glad I only have one of these!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
It tells you to put the parking brake in service mode because the rear rotors houses the parking brake and that if it is activated, you will never be able to pull the rotor out. Just like the old drum brakes, the rear rotor on the LR3/LR4 is a combination of both. You can do it without putting the emergency brake on but putting it on service mode retracts the brake shoe all the way thereby creating more space for you to pull the rotor straight out. You can put the parking brake in service mode by using a scan/obd2 tool

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've replaced rotors on more than a few vehicles but never my LR4. A few of the YouTube videos say to put the parking brake into service mode beforehand. Some using a tool, others by manually doing it and oulling the fuse. Is it really necessary to to that if I don't activate the parking brake? Most of my other vehicles I just pull the rotor and slide another right on...what's different about the LR4 that it is suggested?

Thanks
It tells you to put the parking brake in service mode because the rear rotors houses the parking brake and that if it is activated, you will never be able to pull the rotor out. Just like the old drum brakes, the rear rotor on the LR3/LR4 is a combination of both. You can do it without putting the emergency brake on but putting it on service mode retracts the brake shoe all the way thereby creating more space for you to pull the rotor straight out. You can put the parking brake in service mode by using a scan/obd2 tool
I replaced my RAnge rover sport and just pulled the fuse. Had no issues

1 - 6 of 6 Posts