Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Full disclosure I did not completely follow the directions when attempting to change my rear breaks for the first time. 2015 RR HSE

I started out like a normal break job. I did not put the parking break in maintenance mode (I learned that part later). I took off one caliper and tried to push the cup back. It didn't want to go back. Researched and found that I needed to put the car parking break in maintenance mode. I was able to do this by holding down break, holding down parking break button, and turning car off. Dash verified it was successful.

Went back to caliper (which was still off rotor). Well ...cup pushed out because it was not on the wheel when I pushed the break to get it into maintenance mode (stupid move I know). I was able to understand how the parking break works by looking at screw shaft from electric motor mounted on the back of caliper. I then put the cup back in and it still did not go back far enough. So now knowing what it was hitting I turned the cub clockwise to take the parking break plunger back down the threaded shaft. I did this until I could fit the caliper over the new break pads. I bled the brake to this wheel as the fluid obviously came out when the cup came out. I then closed up this wheel.

I then did the next wheel the same way. Note that this wheel from the beginning was in "parking break maintenance mode". Cup still would not depress. I knew it was hitting the parking break plunger so I turned the cup clockwise until the plunger went down enough to get it over the new break pads. I then closed up this wheel.

Now, everything is working with the normal brakes. I can't get rid of the warring that "parking break is in maintenance mode". I've tried the same procedure as I used to get it into the mode. I've driven the car over 50mph, I even pulled the positive battery cable to reset everything. Its still there. Did I mess it up with the clockwise turning of the cups? I figured they would just reset themselves with the turning of the threaded shaft with the small motor on the caliper....maybe not. Is there a way to get the maintenance mode off that I am missing? or is there an adjustment procedure for me to go through to get the parking break plungers back to the correct spot?

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK. Full disclosure I did not completely follow the directions when attempting to change my rear breaks for the first time. 2015 RR HSE

I started out like a normal break job. I did not put the parking break in maintenance mode (I learned that part later). I took off one caliper and tried to push the cup back. It didn't want to go back. Researched and found that I needed to put the car parking break in maintenance mode. I was able to do this by holding down break, holding down parking break button, and turning car off. Dash verified it was successful.

Went back to caliper (which was still off rotor). Well ...cup pushed out because it was not on the wheel when I pushed the break to get it into maintenance mode (stupid move I know). I was able to understand how the parking break works by looking at screw shaft from electric motor mounted on the back of caliper. I then put the cup back in and it still did not go back far enough. So now knowing what it was hitting I turned the cub clockwise to take the parking break plunger back down the threaded shaft. I did this until I could fit the caliper over the new break pads. I bled the brake to this wheel as the fluid obviously came out when the cup came out. I then closed up this wheel.

I then did the next wheel the same way. Note that this wheel from the beginning was in "parking break maintenance mode". Cup still would not depress. I knew it was hitting the parking break plunger so I turned the cup clockwise until the plunger went down enough to get it over the new break pads. I then closed up this wheel.

Now, everything is working with the normal brakes. I can't get rid of the warring that "parking break is in maintenance mode". I've tried the same procedure as I used to get it into the mode. I've driven the car over 50mph, I even pulled the positive battery cable to reset everything. Its still there. Did I mess it up with the clockwise turning of the cups? I figured they would just reset themselves with the turning of the threaded shaft with the small motor on the caliper....maybe not. Is there a way to get the maintenance mode off that I am missing? or is there an adjustment procedure for me to go through to get the parking break plungers back to the correct spot?
Did you ever figure this out? I’m having this issue right now with turning it off maintenance mode.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts