Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to Land Rover ownership and looking for advice. I recently bought a 2016 LR4 with 39,000 miles and a Precision First Elite extended warranty from a private seller. Car runs great has a clean history and appears in excellent condition, but a month in of owning it the coolant light came on. I took it to my BMW mechanic who specializes in German cars but do work on Land Rovers and they took a look. They pressure tested saw no sign of leak topped it off and said probably a small slow leak and bring it back if light comes on again and we will do an overnight test. A few weeks later light came on again. I just took it in and the did the overnight test. Could not find leak but can see signs of coolant under intake manifold. They think it is probably a hose or pipe leak (unfortunately hoses is one thing warranty will not cover) and say next step is remove intake manifold cover and start looking round. They have been reasonably priced in past but are estimating $2000 + for this work, which if a hose will be fully out of my pocket. A large part of cost they are saying is the time it takes to remove the intake manifold cover. Does anyone know hours of labor it normally takes to do that? Before I give the go ahead, wondering if there are other things that could be checked or if any experts out there have some theories as to what else it could be. I’m also debating taking it to a dealer or Land Rover expert instead and having them take a look. I’m in Los Angeles, anyone have a reasonable good mechanic or honest dealership they recommend for service? As a women, I’m trying to do as much research as possible so I’m not going in blind. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Zazie2020: In September we bought a 2019 Land Rover Discovery Sport with 3,000 miles on it. We now have 10,000 miles, and I smelled a coolant leak. Took it in to LR, and sure enough it had a coolant leak. They needed to replace the water pump, which they said is comin in LR and Toyotas with low miles. WTH? Definitely crappy parts if a water pump goes with this low of miles. It was covered by our warranty, but makes me very leary to keep this car past the expiration of the warranty. I would take yours to LR and have them find out the cause of the leak, it might be a covered part. If nit therein you can always take it to someone else for the work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I am new to Land Rover ownership and looking for advice. I recently bought a 2016 LR4 with 39,000 miles and a Precision First Elite extended warranty from a private seller. Car runs great has a clean history and appears in excellent condition, but a month in of owning it the coolant light came on. I took it to my BMW mechanic who specializes in German cars but do work on Land Rovers and they took a look. They pressure tested saw no sign of leak topped it off and said probably a small slow leak and bring it back if light comes on again and we will do an overnight test. A few weeks later light came on again. I just took it in and the did the overnight test. Could not find leak but can see signs of coolant under intake manifold. They think it is probably a hose or pipe leak (unfortunately hoses is one thing warranty will not cover) and say next step is remove intake manifold cover and start looking round. They have been reasonably priced in past but are estimating $2000 + for this work, which if a hose will be fully out of my pocket. A large part of cost they are saying is the time it takes to remove the intake manifold cover. Does anyone know hours of labor it normally takes to do that? Before I give the go ahead, wondering if there are other things that could be checked or if any experts out there have some theories as to what else it could be. I’m also debating taking it to a dealer or Land Rover expert instead and having them take a look. I’m in Los Angeles, anyone have a reasonable good mechanic or honest dealership they recommend for service? As a women, I’m trying to do as much research as possible so I’m not going in blind. Thank you!!!

·
1,854 Posts
Sounds like a weeping water pump, a cracked coolant bleed valve or a bad sensor in the expansion tank.
Call Abran from Cars 4x4 he is the best LR3/LR4 mechanic I know near the LA area. Him and his wife manage the shop. 940-413-7396
Tell him that David from NYC sent you

Reactions: Zazie2020

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you equinerover and Safaridave for your responses and sharing your thoughts and insights. I did end up taking it to a dealer: Thousand Oaks Land Rover who actually offered really great service. There ended up being two leaks. One from the water pump as you both suggested, which thankfully was covered by my warranty, and also from a hose that needed to be replaced. I agree with you Equinerover that you would not think these parts would fail in cars so young and with fairly low miles. It is very frustrating and does make me wonder what else will go wrong. I do really love the car though so fingers crossed all will be well with it for a while. Dave, thank you so much for the mechanic contact. I will reach out to them in the future. With this car, I have a feeling I will be needing a skilled and trustworthy mechanic!!

·
1,854 Posts
Thank you equinerover and Safaridave for your responses and sharing your thoughts and insights. I did end up taking it to a dealer: Thousand Oaks Land Rover who actually offered really great service. There ended up being two leaks. One from the water pump as you both suggested, which thankfully was covered by my warranty, and also from a hose that needed to be replaced. I agree with you Equinerover that you would not think these parts would fail in cars so young and with fairly low miles. It is very frustrating and does make me wonder what else will go wrong. I do really love the car though so fingers crossed all will be well with it for a while. Dave, thank you so much for the mechanic contact. I will reach out to them in the future. With this car, I have a feeling I will be needing a skilled and trustworthy mechanic!!
Glad they found it. My wife and I own 2 LR3's and they have been solid and reliable they are both 15 year old now. Sometimes cars just have things that break does not mater the brand.

·
1,854 Posts
Glad they found it. My wife and I own 2 2005 V8 LR3's and they have been solid trucks and reliable, they are both 15 year old now. Sometimes cars just have things that break does not mater the brand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great to hear they figured it out! We'll be working on buddy's incoming 2014 LR project next right after we finished installing the brake kit and new set of wheels and tires on the current Silverado project. The coolant light on the Land Rover lit about 3 of times as far as the current owner can remember. About 49k on the miles and probably out of the warranty, good thing we know where to check for the leak/s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts