Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Discovery with 34,000 miles on pavement only
Rear-ended a couple years ago
Car was placed on a jig, repaired with wheel alignment and rotation.

Recently noticed abnormal wear on both front tires
Would greatly appreciated any advice before meeting with the autobody technician next week.

Front right tire (front left tire is similar).
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Rear tire
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle

·
Administrator
2,335 Posts
Hi
Long time Technician and have worked at a Goodyear tire centre.
Tire wear can vary for many reasons, tire design, driving habits and road conditions as well as the vehicle itself.
Pictures are not as reliable as a hands and eyes 👀 on inspection… but from what I can see I will suppose a few things, let me know if I’m correct
  • You drive on roughly paved secondary roads, gravel etc commonly?
  • Tires are not rotated on a regular basis? Check your maintenance schedule in your owners manual.
  • tire pressure is kept on the high side of recommended pressure?

I don’t see any severe wear (inside or outside edges) but do see some substantial chipping of the tread surface. (Rough road surface). Cannot see scalloping or uneven wear of the surface.
An alignment check is never a bad idea BUT I think what you are seeing is typical for this particular tire.
They are NOT a long life tire they have a higher road traction / wet road traction rating and a low tread life rating meaning they were designed with traction over longevity in mind. It is a performance all season tire more suited to a sport touring vehicle that a SUV in my opinion.This is common practice for original equipment tires and vehicle manufacturers commonly select a tire that compliments the vehicle and have no real concern if they don’t last.
I would advise doing some research before purchasing replacement tire (which are needed) and a alignment check which I always advise with new tires.
These tires (Eagle F1 AT) are not what you need for your usual driving conditions and style.

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input. The tires have been rotated once or twice with normal pressures and driven on normal pavement. Still seems odd to see such uneven wear between the front and rear tires. Regardless, I will definitely take your advice and order my next tires with a long tread life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts