Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 months ago, 3 amigos lights came on 1 time, then went away after restarting disco. About 2 months ago it was happening 1 time a week. Now it's happening almost every other day. It seems like it happens after driving around for about 20-30 minutes. And if I stop and restart the disco, it goes away.

I've read about dirty wheel sensors and possibly a bad ABS sensor. The ABS sensor was changed on the disco before I purchased it 2 years ago. Any ideas on where to start? Or a thread with this same problem, I couldn't find one matching this exact scenario.

Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
start off by reading the fault codes. It's no different than the "check engine light" where you get the fault codes so that you have a good idea of where to start. Well, not so much an idea as more matter-of-fact. Each wheel has a hub and sensor; it's highly unlikely that the previous owner replaced all 4 as they can be fairly expensive (if you don't know where to shop) There is also the common issue with the ABS modulator and shuttle-valves. So, start by getting those ABS codes and posting them so that the next guy can point you in the right direction. Good luck!

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Codes should stay stored
My bet is shuttle valve switch related
Read the shuttle valve switch fix sticky

·
Registered
233 Posts
Codes should stay stored
My bet is shuttle valve switch related
Read the shuttle valve switch fix sticky
Yeah, even if the light is off when you plug up, the ABS fault codes will remain. If you don't have an OBD scanner, then you should get one. You will need it more than you know, especially when trying to fix ABS as the first fix doesn't always work and you will go back-and-forth with fault codes regardless. Make absolutely sure that you get one that will read and clear LR ABS fault codes, or just get one for LR, specifically. You may find a nice used model on EBay

·
Registered
233 Posts
Any suggestions on a decent model that will clear codes as well?
What about Bluetooth iPhone compatible scanners?
Thanks
You can search threads on LRForums.com; they talk about that kind of tech quite frequently over there, but I couldn't tell you. I would search the different models on Roverparts.com, Atlantic-British, then see what you can get the same thing for on Ebay. It should cost quite a bit less there as AB retails everything for a premium.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Any suggestions on a decent model that will clear codes as well?
What about Bluetooth iPhone compatible scanners?
Thanks
There is one for sale on the classified forum here

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use an Autel AL-619 scanner. Costs about $160 and scans all OBD-II, ABS and SRS codes. When I had the 3 Amigos, it told me all I needed to do was replace a $15 ABS sensor rather than the dreaded shuttle valve seals. I'd say it was a worthwhile investment.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I also have an autel model 8?? Can't remember but works well and does give codes no data though nother than generic engine data

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same problem a year ago.

I had the same issue. I read somewhere that the trans controller is very sensitive to low voltage situations. I read a suggestion that a weak battery can work fine but cause low voltage at startup and cause the three amigos. I changed my battery to an Optima yellow top, no three amigos since. Sorry I don't remember where I read this. Probably somewhere on this or another forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.