Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually not a "how to" question, but more "am I going to die" inquiry.

I have had the 3 Amigos, scanned, and found 11.4 which I should be able to fix easily...but have chosen to put it off until next month.

I promise I will hold no one liable, however, is the Disco safe to drive on mountain passes in the meantime? I live a few minutes from some 10% grade and the brakes do feel more spongy after I cleared the amigos (psychosomatic or is this a real symptom of clearing amigos?) and I know a fix is ultimately necessary, but can I survive a trip up and over 8,451'?

Thanks...and again...no liability assumed by you telling me I'll survive. :buttrock: :beer:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The 3 amigos will only effect your stopping powers if you had to do a panic stop and then the brakes might allow the tires to lock up and slide like brakes system prior to ABS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3 amigos will only effect your stopping powers if you had to do a panic stop and then the brakes might allow the tires to lock up and slide like brakes system prior to ABS.
Thanks. Hopefully no panic stops at 10% even with perfect brakes.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Forgot to mention your spongy brake question, not ABS related, old burned brake fluid and old warn out rubber brake hoses are the cause of that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bled the brakes a few weeks back. Didn't see any hose issues. Did I screw up the bleed?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Trust me on the hoses, if you have over 100,000 miles on the truck, the hoses are causing you some grief.
When bleeding the brakes, how much fluid did you use?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not near the garage right now but if memory serves, 3 16oz (48) of dot4.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How tough a job would I be looking at in terms of hose replacement? Brakes are kind of important to me.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Easy job, either replace with new rubber hoses or if you have a lift then use extended stainless steel lines.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup. Added 3" with an OME lift a few weeks back. Was only supposed to be a 2" lift but I was saggy.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Just curious cause after watching your video, your approach angle could use some help. Did you use the 779 or the 751 front springs?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious cause after watching your video, your approach angle could use some help. Did you use the 779 or the 751 front springs?
There's a video of me online?! I used 779s but where is said video? :shifty:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I am sorry, I got your truck and a video mixed up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now the Amigo is no longer clearing the lights at all...does this just mean the shuttle valve is constantly causing a problem?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If you clear the codes and they come back as soon as you start and drive, "YUP", time to replace the valves and seals. I would also recommend doing the ground wire repair at the same time since you are going to take the module off for repairs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts