Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whenever i break hard the truck will chime 3 times semi fast. it hasn't done this the past few days because well the abs just does not work anymore from what i can tell. my breaks are very squeaky lately and the peddle is very soft (goes all the way to the floor). i do not have any warning lights because the previous owner painted over them :mad: i only have an obd2 reader so i can not pull abs codes. Any ideas on where to start besides the obvious one of get a code reader.

It is a 2002 SE7

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
You need to get your ABS codes read by a good shop with the proper scanner, get all the fault code numbers and get back to us.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
If you I will be glad to walk you thru what do do to resolve this issue, PM me your number and I'll call you on Sunday.

· '03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Brake squeal can mimic an ABS sensor fault and cause the "three amigos" to come on with accompanying chimes. The PO painted over them? Classy...

Based on your symptoms, it sounds like you need a full brake rebuild. And depending on your mileage you may need to rebuild the ABS modulator as per the "Option B" fix if you do in fact want to permanently repair the three amigos. The pump suffers internal leaks which end up damaging the wiring, causing the faults.

You'll need:

Rotors - can't machine them, replace all 4
Pads - Akebono ceramic is the way to go. Anything else is unbelievably dusty. Make sure you use compound on the back of the pads to prevent squealing.
Brake fluid - DOT 4 - enough for a full flush.
New Shuttle valve kit from Falconworks - Rebuild modulator
Two-wire trailer harness
ABS reader to clear codes.

You're looking at about $400 in parts. The labor itself is pretty easy and you don't need any special tools, only a 12-pt socket set to remove the front caliper bolts. Everything is detailed in the RAVE manual. I hope you can do the work yourself, because shop prices will double or triple that price. Also most shops won't even touch an ABS pump rebuild due to liability concerns so they'll try to sell you a new one at a retail cost of $2195.95. Don't even bother with used as they're such a common failure.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
You need to buy an ABS scanner and save some money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.