Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I will eventually be putting on a 2-3" lift (probably just a TerraFirma MD 2"), I need some new tires now. I want to get some 16" black steel wheels from OK Offroading and would love to get the Treadwright Guard Dogs. Here are my questions...

1). Are the Guard Dogs M/T okay for a daily driver and weekend wheelin' (I live in Phoenix so I'll be doing lots of rock crawling and riding through washes with sand and some water). Daily driving is about 40 miles round trip, 90% highway.

2). Will I be able to fit a 31"x10.5" tire on my stock D2? I like the 265/70R16 Guard Dogs which measure a little bigger than a typical 265/60R16 (30.6").

3). Any opinions on the OK Offroad 16" steel rims?

As always, thanks!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Rwilson, youd be better off going to another forum, people tend to not answer the question at hand here; Your answer to your question will be a question. haha. I went to discoweb.org, they are blunt assholes and call you out sometimes, but always help resolve the question.

Anyways to answer your question. I run 245/75/r16's which are roughly 31's. minor rubbing at the front wheel well. My tires are mom tires, but I plan to run guard dogs myself in 265/75s with a +2" MD Terrafirma lift as well, but im just going to wait until I have the money to do both at one time. I heard the 245's with a 2" lift look a little small and 265's are a lot more balanced.

Hope that helped you.
Dane.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just put on a set of Cooper Discoverer ATP in 265/75r16 and they don't rub. Close but no rubbing even tested to the extreme. These pics are with the back tire just barely on the ground.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I've ridden in a RRC with them both on and off-road for a day. They aren't the worst in the world but you are definitely aware of them.

That said I have them on the 110 I just haven't gotten to drive it with them yet.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
You will definitely hear the guard dogs. How much it bothers you depends on the person, I drive a 110 and the noise doesn't really bother me. Others it drives bat **** crazy, it is all relative to you the user

I have no idea on the A/T wardens never ran them. If they are anything like the BFG AT's they are modeled after they won't be to bad.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You will definitely hear the guard dogs. How much it bothers you depends on the person, I drive a 110 and the noise doesn't really bother me. Others it drives bat **** crazy, it is all relative to you the user

I have no idea on the A/T wardens never ran them. If they are anything like the BFG AT's they are modeled after they won't be to bad.
I second this, my truck is loud to begin, and my music is louder.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments... I'll let everyone know what I end up with, post some pictures, and do a long term review.

I'm leaning more and more towards having 2 sets of wheels... 18" with a cheap "street" tire, and 16" steel with the Guard Dogs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comments... I'll let everyone know what I end up with, post some pictures, and do a long term review.

I'm leaning more and more towards having 2 sets of wheels... 18" with a cheap "street" tire, and 16" steel with the Guard Dogs.
I just posted a video with the road noise in it if you are interested. It is at the bottom of the page.

Road Noise Video

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just put on 265/60R18 (30.5") Goodyear Wrangler ArmorTrac tires today. Look much much better than stock size! No rubbing at all.

After I install the 2" lift, I'll get a set of 16 steelies and 32" guard dogs just for wheelin'

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
There are a number of people here in Denver running Guard Dogd as a DD, noise is not bad, especially when you consider they will dam near go anywhere. The average Guard Dog will last around 45,000 miles as long as you don't buy a set with all the crushed walnut and glass, better traction with half the tread life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.