Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone -

I'm a new owner - just traded in a Saab for a 97 Disco with 70K. I've had it for about three months, and just found out the main seal is leaking oil and it needs new lifters and a new wiper motor - aka. there goes my tax return! :eek:

Can somebody tell me, is this a NORMAL thing? :dunno:

I love my Disco, but if this is going to be an every-six-months situation... HELP!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Carrie,
Sounds like you need some help. Why was the truck taken into the shop in the first place? How bad is the leak?
Is the engine noisey and if so when?
Do you have any of the old service records?
Tell me you didn't tell them to start work on it yey.
Mike J.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a holding pattern...

No, I told them it would have to wait until after the first of the year. I have all of the maitenance records from the second owner, and I'm taking it to the same shop he did - they specialize in Rovers.

I originally took it in because the wipers weren't working in intermittent - had the same problem with another car and figured it was the motor. Also the tailgate was stuck (the latch is corroded...a reoccurring problem here in MN, because the mechanism is exposed - they just lubed it up and got it working again.) and I have a tick under the hood - it's louder when you first start the truck and it sounded like the lifters (same problem, another car - Rovers seem to have a LOT in common with Saabs...) so I asked them to have a look.

I've seen the slow oil drip in my garage, so I also asked them to find out where it's coming from.

After all that, hence the recommendation for the extensive repairs. Approx. $1500 for the lifters, $1500 for the main seal oil leak and $550 for the wipers.

:mad:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I would make a couple of suggestions, Rovers are known for clicking sounds especially when cold. Could be the lifters, an exhaust leak and or a hugh carbon build up which is real common and is easy to cure.
Couple of questions, how often do you change the oil, do you ever add oil and gas additives, and would you like to save some money by doing a few things your self?
Get back to me.
Mike J.

P.S. By the way, I am a service writer and have lots of experience with these.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't mind doing a little bit myself - but lets make this clear - I know just enough about cars to get myself into trouble! I personally have never used additives in this truck, but I can't speak for the previous owners. Oil changes were done regularly before 3000 miles - I have all the records for the past six years. Running 5W30 in winter, 10W40 in summer. The tick never goes away - just gets slightly quieter as the car warms up. Also, its always quieter after I have the oil changed.

Thats about all the info I have - help!

·
Registered
229 Posts
for your oil leak, and lifter tick, "lucas oil stablizer"

i use that in all the race engines i build, that stuff is god for engines, cures the worst knocks and bangs and ticks around (also prevents daily wear and tear). definately would give that a try, and for 5 or so dollars can really help you out...and also like they said, if you exhuast gaskets are leaking that ticking can be coming from that also...always get an second opinion

hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
MrsGerber said:
Approx. $1500 for the lifters, $1500 for the main seal oil leak and $550 for the wipers.

:mad:
$1500 seems very high to change out a set of lifters. a set is about $100, a new intake gasket, and figure on about 4 to 5 hours labor.

$1500 is WAY high for a front seal, in the right neighborhood for a rear seal.

$550 will buy eight or ten delay relays, the most common cause for wipers not working in delay mode.

You do the math !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.