Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm hoping someone can point me to a good LR shop in the Nashua, NH area (within say 30 miles). There used to be one shop in Manchester, but they have retired. The only other place I know of is the dealer.

Problem we have is on our 2003 SE7. At first the 3 amigos would come on while driving for a bit, then shut off at next start up. But now, they seem to be on all the time, right from startup. The brake pedal has a long travel, so I was thinking just the brakes, but that was before the lights were constant. (based upon what I've read).

Maybe there's someone in the area that has an ABS scanner who can pull the codes? Worth asking!

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How mechanical are you?
If you look in our classified section and the one from the LRF you should find some one renting a 3 amigo scanner.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Sounds like a shuttle valve problem. Without codes it's only a guess but it's more than likely what's causing your lights to come on. Rebuild the shuttle valves using the repair kit from Falconworks and then go through with the "Option B" fix outlined in a sticky post here on the forum. Once the rebuild has been done get a hold of an ABS scanner (either ABS Amigo or Autel AL619) and clear the codes. The long brake travel is likely due to old brake fluid or worn brake pads - both are easy and cheap to fix. Any DOT-4 fluid should be good for the flush and I recommend the Akebono ceramic brake pads because they are quite effective and produce little dust.

Unfortunately most dealers and Indy shops won't touch this job - they'll just replace the ABS unit at a cost of over $1500 for parts/labor. Messing with the internals is too much of a risk for them. Luckily it's all simple and the info is all freely available online. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found an ABS unit online for $79 shipped. Took me 20 minutes to install it. Bleeding the system properly takes a bit longer. I kept my old ABS unit to rebuild at my leisure. I found out that I had a bad speed sensor too when I restarted it. Changed it in a 45 minutes and I'm back in business. Buying an ABS scanner is a good investment. If you need to get your hands on one just let me know. I wish the engine management system was as easy... I have CEL fixation

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! Doing the brakes will be the easy part of it. I was hoping to find a scanner to see what else is needed, and clear the codes to shut off the lights.

I may have found an independent shop in Manchester who has one, fingers crossed...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update!

Ending up going to the dealer to have the codes pulled/diagnosed. Ended up being the RT front hub.

So... replaced the hub, flushed brake fluid, replaced the brake lines (they were in bad shape) threw on new rotors & pads up front as they looked nasty, and she's riding better than she has in years!

No lights, and no shakes! A Win-Win!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts