Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back to harvest more of the collective wisdom. I'm trying to disassemble everything in the engine front cover so I can clean it and change the oil pump gears. I was able to remove the oil pump relief valve by tapping the plug in and allowing it to pop back out on the spring repeatedly to loosen it up and pop out. There is a similar plug on the other side, and that's not going so well. I've pushed it in, but it does not pop back out.

What does this spring loaded plunger on the right hand side do? Is it a check valve for the oil filter or something? I noticed a noise like something moving back and forth on this side, like a ball check hitting the stops at either end as you tilt the cover.

In any case, I've tapped it into the bore but it isn't popping back. I've tried heating the casting with a heat gun to expand it and let it pop out, but this hasn't worked yet. I was using an electric heat gun but this hasn't heated the casting up much. Barely warm to the touch. Do I need more heat? Propane torch perhaps?

As a last resort, I could drill the plug, tap it and use a slide hammer to pull it out. Can I get another plug? I suppose as a last, last resort I could seal the hole with a screw and thread sealer.

Any advice out there?

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Why did you feel the need to remove the relief valves? I can't see any benefit to it. They're not serviceable and I've never heard of them failing. Avoid cutting/drilling/heating/slide hammering anything. If you alter the spring's tension or damage any of the components you could cause the valve to fail open or closed - and that's a recipe for disaster.

Put everything back together and simply remove the timing cover, clean it with some degreaser or mineral spirits, and reassemble everything. No need to experiment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.