Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question I have a 2002 Discovery with 75K miles with a rusted frame and several issues except the truck runs great. I picked up a 2004 Discovery with a bad oil pump, turns out there is more wrong with it than the oil pump basically needs a new engine. My question is it possible to put the 4.0l motor in the 2004 and still use the existing computer in the 2004. The 4.0 does not have secondary air. If its not possible If I move the computer from the 2002 what else do I need to move with it the security module?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes, you could put the 4.0 into the 4.6 but you will have to swap the cylinder heads because of the SAI. However, the Ideal thing for you to do would be to do a rebuild and use the 4.6 crank in the 4.0 block (making it a 4.6). You might as well because you have to pull the motors and heads anyway. Actually, it seems to me like you are in a pretty good situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info the 4.6 motor is not even good enough for the crank donor. I guess I am curious about what components need to work together if I were to move the 4.0l motor, ecm, engine wiring harness and BCU. Are there additional components? gauges? I understand that it would be ideal to replace the 4.6 with another 4.6 but the reality is that I have a good motor I want to use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assuming the heads are in good shape on the 4.6 they could be used on the 4.0? without any other modifications it would just be a 4.0 and not 4.6

It would make more sense like you had indicated using a 4.6 crank on my 4.0. I am guessing it uses the same pistons etc.. I would just get new main bearings etc. timing I guess if someone here had a decent 4.6 crank I could then keep the 4.6 and use my existing heads.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think you can just put the SAI heads on the 4.0 and go from there. Its not Ideal, but it is cost effective in your situation. 4.6 cranks are generally not easy to source. Are you sure yours is beyond repair?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.