Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called an indy rover shop in Seattle that was recommended to me to ask for an idea of what it would cost to change out a bad engine from an 03 and replace it with a Turner short block. The labor alone was quoted at $6500. Add the block and the head work and I'd be up around $9000. Is this really typical?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd get a second opinion. Mine was put in for half of that.

·
Sold The Disco for a Nissan
78 Posts
4.6 enginen replacement

I am in the process of swaping out my 4.6 eng for a reconditioned 4.6 from Oklanhoma European . It has the top hat liners and a bigger cam for a little more power. The long block is $4950.00 with your core exchange.
You can find him on Ebay . It should be at my door step in 15 to 20 days. He gives a 3 year warranty on the engine.
Here is the link...
LAND ROVER ENGINE ***REMANUFACTURED 4.6 LONG BLOCK*** W/FLANGED CYLINDER LINERS | eBay

i am doing the work myself , but I can tell you Land Rover wants around $13000.00 to do the job without the top hat liners.

I hope this helps.
AC:buttrock:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. That is going to be an awesome engine when you are done. I'm not at the level where I can do that work myself so it looks like the labor would be to much to make it worth it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
6500 for labor??? Even car cannibal in OK city will install an engine for 1500-2000 (labor cost) to include all fluids, etc...that's nuts

augustc:

Can you let me know how you like the engine? I have been looking around and weighing my options, Turner, Car Cannibal, Oklahoma European, local speed shop...and would be interested to see how your install goes and what your first impressions are.

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Without intending to steal a thread, I was wondering if any of the more seasoned Rover owners would chime in on something. Obviously, replacing the 4.6 engine in 03-04 D2's with a top hat sleeved engine seems to be the most reliable, long term option but how does the replacement with a rebuilt 4.6 Bosch engine from a late model Range Rover compare? I would appreciate any feedback provided.

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rover Cannibal emailed me and right now has a '99 Range Rover 4.6 long block for sale. Not sure of the exact details, but they could answer that I suppose.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
I am in the process of swaping out my 4.6 eng for a reconditioned 4.6 from Oklanhoma European . It has the top hat liners and a bigger cam for a little more power. The long block is $4950.00 with your core exchange.
$5000 and it doesn't even mention new pistons, or even rings? I hope that's just a carelessly written ad, and that they forgot to put that in. If not, I know where they are saving $600 in parts.

If all the parts are going to be reused, you can get a block that has been sleeved for $2000, and just use your own pistons and crank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
4.6 enginen replacement

You can find him on Ebay . It should be at my door step in 15 to 20 days. He gives a 3 year warranty on the engine.
Here is the link...
LAND ROVER ENGINE REMANUFACTURED 4.6 LONG BLOCK W/FLANGED CYLINDER LINERS | eBay

i am doing the work myself , but I can tell you Land Rover wants around $13000.00 to do the job without the top hat liners.

I hope this helps.
4.6 enginen replacement

Here is the link...
LAND ROVER ENGINE REMANUFACTURED 4.6 LONG BLOCK W/FLANGED CYLINDER LINERS | eBay

I hope this helps.
How much will you charge to fix mine?? Serious

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
@kinky you realize you’re responding to 10 year old messages, right?

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
yes, but lots of circumstances change over a decade.

I'm not sure where you are, but I used Elite in California to replace my 4.6 and it was about two years ago. very happy with it.

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
I live in WA, and paid for transportation of my truck to them.

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
Negotiated through the shop, I think the costs broke down like so:

brand new/fully rebuilt engine: 6000
Rebuilt transmission: 3000
New center and rear diffs: 1500
Transpo (there/back): 1500

total was 12 large give or take, but again I don’t worry about **** but PM on this power train

1 - 20 of 21 Posts