Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i would go and have some fun it the snow today but when i went to engage 4 wheel drive the yellow knob would not stay down hence no 4 wheel drive :dunno: Ive had the floor up the linkage looks ok so it must a problem with the box?? any ideas(the landy is a s3 gearbox and a 90 engine) allso do you know where i can get a detailed strip down diagram for the gearbox.
Many thanks.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
If the 4wd is seldom used the internals can get "sticky" give the linkages a liberal dousing of wd40 type stuff and keep selecting hi,lo and hi 4wd repeatedly it should free up and start working
Ta ONz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI thanks for that i tryed that didnt seem to do much so i thought about stripping it but i would like a diagram first to look at so as i dont have things shooting out at me.
Thanks steve.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No 4WD

Before stripping the box!!!

Pull up the drivers floor again (assuming right hand drive!). At the front of the transfer case, near where the front prop connects, is a little tin cover. The selector shafts are proud of the box here and rely on spring pressure to "flip flop" in and out when your are fiddling with the 4WD / high low levers. Water can easily (!) get in and corrode the shafts which makes selection hard / impossible. Get the little tin cover off (3 bolts) and clean and grease the shafts. Cured my light weight and is probably worth a look before buying any manuals, parts for a strip down.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all
Well finally got round to it today and may i say good post to Buckle i took the tin thing of and on the underside of it was damaged so the shafts could not come out when 4wd was selected.the dent was not visible from the top and it was covered in a thick layer of mud and grease not sure how it got damaged tho.
NIce shout mate :banana:

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
SB76 said:
Hi all
Well finally got round to it today and may i say good post to Buckle i took the tin thing of and on the underside of it was damaged so the shafts could not come out when 4wd was selected.the dent was not visible from the top and it was covered in a thick layer of mud and grease not sure how it got damaged tho.
NIce shout mate :banana:
You beat me to it. I've seen that exact same thing happen before. Sometimes it helps to look from underneath before pulling out the floor panels. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.