Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where do i begin ranting??

i went in this AM to my local dealer. had scheduled my 45K service over a month ago. everything was fine with the car then.

the only things that needed to be done were: 45K service...lube sunroofs...and fix a faulty rear speaker...easy right?

well first...my service loaner... a cpo 2002 volvo s60... :complain:
i'd rather have a freelander...those pieces of junk are better than an s60 any day. (though they are powerwheels on steroids)
i had asked and been promised an LR3 for my loaner...this was my first anger of the day.

secondly...by noon i hadn't received any calls.
a voicemail was apparently left on my phone...no such message exists.
4PM rolls around...and still no call from LR. so I had to call THEM.

"ohh...yeah...we're gonna keep your car overnight... that noise you hear when you drive...that's your front differential..."

WTF!? i just picked up this CPO '02 disco in February with 33K. i've been back 8 times for major warranty work! what am going to do? sue? it's LR.. they have problems...but this is rediculous.

and now...i'm stuck with a midsize volvo till thursday actually.

this dealer is pissing me off beyond belief. :complain:

any other major things to go wrong with this car before 62K miles rolls in and my warranty expires?? LMK ASAP...

i love the car....the brand...the adventures and good times...
but this is ludacris! window regulators, tweeters, drive shafts, t-box leaks.... i've had it with them! i swear they tamper with it so you have to come back!

(also does anyone know why they decided to implement cardboard under the glovebox area on the passenger side? it's just black cardboard!! this is a land rover...not a Daewoo! AHHHH!!!!!!

thanks for the vent time....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Front Diff.

well...i've seen that about 50 people have read this post and not replyed...haha...

well..

got the car back today because i demanded they have it ready by 2pm. and they delivered.

does anyone know why my front diff. would go at only 45k???
they said thank god you still had a warranty...would've been over 2K to fix.

(a sidenote on my loaner rant: i called, complained...and they couldn't find me a LR3, Freelander or Range...so they offered me a cpo disco. which was perfect...but i couldn't get back in time to pick it up which sucked. but i found that if i complain but in a nice way...i get what i want from my dealer haha)

but yeah... what else should i expect around 45k...50k...55k...60k etc...

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
DiscoBoi2002 said:
this dealer is pissing me off beyond belief. :complain:
You should look into a local LR shop that is non dealer. The one my family uses still accepts my parents warranty and they do much better work. It's just a thought.... My parents Rover seemed to have a lot less problems when we did the switch.... I think the dealers halfass the work and that causes more problems later.... Another good clue is the local shops can SHOW and EXPLAIN what is wrong..... Try getting a dealer to show you what is wrong.....They will talk you in circles till you just get so annoyed you leave....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Doscoboi.

Odd question, but do you park on an incline/decline daily? Or flat ground?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
parking...

my driveway is flat... and my work parking space is flat as well. some of my friends' homes have incline drives and it may sit parked for a few hours a few times a week...

could something like that cause this??
:shifty:

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I never parked anywhere flat...... How would that cause problems?

·
Registered
590 Posts
For one thing, your beer might spill, but what I was thinking .....
is most people that park on hills everyday usually put the car in gear, then the emergency brake, so when they start the vehicle to leave they just ram it out of park (hear that loud clang) and they take off.

If Discoboi was having these problems and also parking on a incline/decline everyday, then I would say suspect.

But alas, I have nothing to say in this situation.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Just thought I would chime in on the whole dealer thing. Remember that the more service work they do on your car the more money they make, warranty or not. Also, most dealers don't know how to "fix" things, all they know how to do is replace something(i.e. replacing a whole diff when maybe it was a small piece inside that could be replaced.). That's where the indie shop comes in handy like funrover stated. It's a pain taking your truck to the shop all the time but( I know it's no consolation )... at least it's under warranty! :D

Sorry I had to say it. :beer:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah...thank god for warranty...

plus the dealer for the most part is a real friendly staff...

and they do have service loaners...granted this time around it wasn't a rover..but still..can't get that at a independent foreign auto place... i NEED a car constantly... and hitching a ride just won't do.

but yeah... WHAT ELSE SHOULD I EXPECT AFTER 45K? I MEAN IS THIS NORMAL TO GO SO SOON ?? i just got the disco in february....i've been in for 2 service...and 9 warranty repairs... is this some sort of lemon? do i complain? write a nasty letter? sue?? HELP!! :dunno:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
previously owned

it was previously owned and well maintained by a friend of the dealer's business manager Alan. I had them print me out the entire history of service. This guy fixed everything...warranty or not. The only thing that caught my eye is that the vehicle had been in a rear collision accident...they never told me that and it never pulled up on carfax reports.

so it was meticulously (sp.?) cared for? idk...

i'm just pissed.... i think i need to get rid of... :mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow

Ok boy can I relate to this one...

Here is my story...

I have owned a 98 Disco since late 98. Bought it with only 12k miles on it. It was a enterprise rental that the dealer took and sold cheaply.

I had leaks with the engine (expected after all it is a LR), and the first dealer in Southern California pulled the head gaskets to fix. Under warranty, then I worked out of Northern California, and had problems with it leaking again so I took it into a stealer up there. They said oh we have to pull the head gasket to fix it - and they did under warranty. Then the car went out of warranty, at that point only work that needed to be done was brakes, oil changes and I had the fuel pump go out on me once. Loved the car, just traded it in.. but I am getting ahead of myself.

So about 2 years ago, I decided to buy a 2000 Range Rover with only 19k miles on it. I bought it from a broker (hahahah) in Southern California, safe to say this guy had a heavy british accent and if you ever get near him run as fast as you can.

The range rover seemed to be doing great. I had a few minor problems that were all covered under warranty. One of them being the rear hatch latch would not activate when the temperature was above 80 degrees. I had it into the LR Stealer 5 times actually to have them repair it and they couldn't. It was always still under warranty since they started the repair before it went out of warranty. The last time I had it in there, they told me that to fix it would require replacing the circuitry in the passenger's side front door, because the circuit wasn't completing back to the rear. And they wanted me to pay them $340 to fix it. I told them in not so nice words to take that car and shove it up their back end.

So to top it off, one day I am driving home and the car just doesn't move. Then I get a gear box failure on the dash - NICE. The stealer quoted me $4400 to replace the tranny. I took it to an independent that has been great to me all while owning LR's. He fixed it for $3300. Ran great, and then I sold it. - Thank god.

So I just took my 98 disco and traded it in on a 2004 disco, and man I love it, but... I am a little gun shy to take it in for warranty cuz they will just fix everything and have it for weeks :) That and now I have to go to the other LR dealer in socal area since I pissed off the others by telling em to shove it.

So is that worse than most of you have experienced or is it similar?

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
DiscoBoi2002 said:
i went in this AM to my local dealer.
1st mistake

DiscoBoi2002 said:
"that noise you hear when you drive...that's your front differential..."
What does that even mean? there are many moving parts in a differential. Did they specify what was broken? To FunRover's point,,dealerships are good at replacing,,,not very good at fixing.

any other major things to go wrong with this car before 62K miles rolls in and my warranty expires?? LMK ASAP...
Front drive shaft. I would bet money on it.

but this is ludacris!
No, this is ludacris:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
frickjp said:
Yeah, bad mistake taking a car covered by factory warranty to a factory authorized warranty facility. Perhaps he should take it to your house. I , myself, always prefer paying out the ass for repairs that would otherwise be free.
OK, I'll admit that didn't make much sense in light of the fact that it's still under warranty,,,

PS: If he took it to my house we would be friends and drink beer :beer:
Let's be friends, frickjp. And drink beer. :drink1: :wave:

·
Registered
908 Posts
looks like im gonna top u guys on this issue

ok I have a '99 Rangieback in Indonesia...bought it secondhand for about US$70.000 (yes the tax for luxury cars are crazy)

bought it on 2002 so the car was like 2-3 years old and was running about 80000 km (about 50k mile)

it was great for the first year but it had to go to the dealer for service almost every month on the 2nd year...man that sucks...they held it a minimum of 5 days everytime. the worst was for a full month coz they didn't have the parts. it was the upper block of the engine. I was running 65 miles and suddenly the temperature rocketed, as always the rangie went into safe mode and turned off automatically. I pop the hood and there was a big hole on the radiator...i don't know what caused that.

since then it was a disaster. she HAD to go to the dealer at least ONCE every month. another grand for another visit to the dealer. the worst was about the part they didn't have. I had to go to Singapore to get the parts myself.

now don't tell me about going to another dealer...because there's only ONE dealer of Land Rover in entire Indonesia. man that sucks. there are some dingy old part shop for LR but they only have parts for Defenders in stock.

now the Rangie just sit idle in our garage back there. if someone goes for a drive, he wont take it more than 40 mph.

ishe's great....i love being inside and driving it (do i sound like having sex?). love the appereance and style. nothing beats that black on black Rangie, it just that thinking about going for service once every month gives me chills.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.