Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
When I pick my Disco up from the shop in a couple of days, I'm asking about purchasing an extended warranty. The horror stories keep coming...

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Don't think of them as horror stories. :) Look at them as opportunities to make your Disco even better. ;)

We have the technology. We can rebuild it. Better, stronger, faster.

MOBILE,,,,AGILE,,,,HOSTILE :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
I replaced w/ SG...you would have to check their site for current prices.
When stuff breaks it's a good excuse to upgrade,,,I would never replace stock w/ stock when it comes to drivetrain or suspension, assuming you are wheelin' & buildin' your Disco.

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
What does this sound like before it goes, or while its on its way out?

·
2,986 Posts
For me it was a high pitch whine while accelerating.. thought it was the transmission.. the Tom Woods one I got cost $350 and you can do the labor yourself (or it should be less than an hour job for a mechanic) .. I think LR charges 700+ for it..

Be careful though. If you suspect its going, immediately get it checked out. If it breaks off while driving, it will "grenade" your transmission/transfercase/etc.. and then you'll be really sorry.

·
324 Posts
I don't think it is but I'm not sure. I have the before winter main. to do so I'll check it out then. I have to change all my fiulds out, do the brakes and what not, to get it ready for the harsh winter we're suppose to have this year.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
rmuller said:
For me it was a high pitch whine while accelerating.. thought it was the transmission.. the Tom Woods one I got cost $350 and you can do the labor yourself (or it should be less than an hour job for a mechanic) .. I think LR charges 700+ for it..

Be careful though. If you suspect its going, immediately get it checked out. If it breaks off while driving, it will "grenade" your transmission/transfercase/etc.. and then you'll be really sorry.
That was exactly what was happening with mine. Though it was still under warrentee at the time so I went in to get it fixed. It took 8 months to get me the part, but they put it in and the sound went away.

So I guess I replaced my driveshaft with another stock shaft...oh well, its nice and shiny :D

·
324 Posts
Yeah I'll take a look at those while I'm doing the main. work I need to do. I have this wierd annoying sound coming from the engine, kinda sounds like its the belt tensioner. So I have to look at that also. But at least I don't have to change the plugs and wires ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts