Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, my mileahas been plummeting. Most recently, I used half of my tank (around 7 gallons) driving just 41 miles! On the highway! Using mid grade gas!!! My 1987 is my commuter, so the situation has become dire.

I recently topped up the oil, and cleaned the injectors a couple months ago. I followed the fuel line all the way up and didn't notice any leaks. I need help, and fast. I know my gas mileage will never be great, but just two months ago I was getting at least 12mpg.

I noticed a large amount of smoke coming from a part of my exhaust (I forgot the name, I’m sorry. See picture. The exhaust is from a newer disco) after running my engine for a little while. But this may simply be oil dripping onto it. The smoke stopped when I cut the engine.
I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but my exhaust is spitting this black stuff out at an alarming rate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does your truck lose oil?
What do your spark plugs look like?
Have you checked air flow?(verify no stoppages in your air intake paths and the air filter isn't clogged)

·
Registered
624 Posts
That is the catalytic converter...
If your rover is running bad and you Have a rich gas smell
It is the 02 sensors....
But it could be clogged converters also
I would delete the converters
With a bypass
That is if you live in a state where your truck is exempted from emissions

·
very disco
1,161 Posts
i would suppose the converters as well, at first glance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your truck lose oil?
What do your spark plugs look like?
Have you checked air flow?(verify no stoppages in your air intake paths and the air filter isn't clogged)
Yes I do lose a fair amount of oil. Haven’t looked at my spark plugs. I cleaned out my air intake a little over a week ago

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No EFI
That is the catalytic converter...
If your rover is running bad and you Have a rich gas smell
It is the 02 sensors....
But it could be clogged converters also
I would delete the converters
With a bypass
That is if you live in a state where your truck is exempted from emissions
No EFI light, and (trust me) it works

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes I do lose a fair amount of oil. Haven’t looked at my spark plugs. I cleaned out my air intake a little over a week ago
Do you know where from? If you're burning it them it's head gaskets and those, being bad enough, could definitely cost you all sorts of power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good I’m glad you got this under control...
you asked god to help you...
He will be posting your solution soon..
Otherwise
Good luck
Didnt mean to offend you. Sorry. I just meant that I figured my EFI light would be on if that’s the problem, so it would be something else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know where from? If you're burning it them it's head gaskets and those, being bad enough, could definitely cost you all sorts of power.
No, I don’t know where from. I never really took the time to look. I’ll check that soon, I hadnt thought of that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would suppose the converters as well, at first glance
You weren’t wrong in suspecting that, the converters I have ARE from a disco after all, lol.
I used a multimeter and my O2 sensors tested faulty in my 14CUX. They’re over 10 years old, so I’m not surprised. Just going to replace them. I was thinking eBay, but do you know of any good places to find them?

·
very disco
1,161 Posts
I prefer not to buy things like that on eBay. There’s a lot of counterfeit or clone crap there.
Rock auto?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I prefer not to buy things like that on eBay. There’s a lot of counterfeit or clone crap there.
Rock auto?
I trust eBay well enough since I sell things on there so I know their return policy. Basically PayPal will give you your money back for almost any reason (makes it hard to trust buyers more than sellers).
One expensive fix after another. Got to love Land Rovers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts