Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Plastic,
Yes, they brought in the 4 liter 6 cylinder engine into the US. You should be able to find all you need at www.landroverusa.com . I'd think it would be on the underpowered side for the mass of an LR3 though.

I'm still holding my breath for a diesel with a manual transmission...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the 6 cyl LR3, not at all underpowered. Actually a very strong engine/trans set up - far better than our 6 cyl Freelander. Didn't drive the V8 but with almost 50% more HP it must be a rocket!

·
4,576 Posts
Bogatyr said:
Plastic,
Yes, they brought in the 4 liter 6 cylinder engine into the US. You should be able to find all you need at www.landroverusa.com . I'd think it would be on the underpowered side for the mass of an LR3 though.

I'm still holding my breath for a diesel with a manual transmission...

Bogatyr
I hear ya man! Its either a Diesel Powered LR3, a V8 Defender, or the ultimate dream...a DIESEL POWERED DEFENDER !!! :notworthy And I wont buy a used D90 until I'm certain what the outlook for these three vehicles are.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
our v6s arent selling though. We bought a bunch and thought they would.

I think the RRS is currently outshining the LR3.

We have yet to sell a V8 with a lockable rearend though. I dont get it.

ITs six hundred extra and includes a full size spare. ITs a great deal.

I dont know why people dont want to do it.

but you need to buy a HSE to get the lockable rearend though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
beezel said:
our v6s arent selling though. We bought a bunch and thought they would.

I think the RRS is currently outshining the LR3.

We have yet to sell a V8 with a lockable rearend though. I dont get it.

ITs six hundred extra and includes a full size spare. ITs a great deal.

I dont know why people dont want to do it.

but you need to buy a HSE to get the lockable rearend though.
Same in Buffalo. We sell every Sport we get, especially SC and SC Range. We can't get read locking diff's. We've sold one that I know of. It indeed is a bargain. Hell, the wheel and tire are $600.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now, because the 6 is a ford engine, would i be able to get service from the ford dealer if i had an emergency? Is the engine tuned differently in the LR than Ford would tune it in their vehicle?

·
Registered
128 Posts
plastic said:
now, because the 6 is a ford engine, would i be able to get service from the ford dealer if i had an emergency? Is the engine tuned differently in the LR than Ford would tune it in their vehicle?

Nope. The 2 have nothing to do with each other. Try strolling into a Cadillac dealer with a Saab. And yes, it is different.

·
2,437 Posts
trust me different apples. There WDS doesnt even work on our systems.

I miss Fords WDS system, so reliable, so easy So willing to actually work for a change and not be in the stone age.

Even the Jag engine is a bit different from ours. Its got the Rover treatment on it.

Trust me just cause Ford owns them doesnt mean they are the same car.

A Lincoln LS and a Jaguar Stype might have the suspension but the emissions systems are completely different. Same block different stuff.

·
4,576 Posts
Butler, im in the market for a new truck. I've been lookin at the V6 LR3. Do you have the third row seats? I would use this as a DD and FriendsBus on the weekends. Does the engine suffer with the extra weight? My 96 Disco is a 4.0 V8 with a little under 200hp and does fine loaded with people and gear (camping trips). I would guess that the 216hp for the LR3 would be just fine.

·
2,437 Posts
you can get the both models in a seven or a five seater. you can get a luxury package if you want.

what you cant get with v6 is a HSE with electronic lockable rear end. The six hundred dollar package comes with the HSE v8 model and includes a full size spare for only 625.

the v8 gets only one mile an hour less.

If you want the best in the long run go for the HSE and the electronic locking diff so you dont have to worry about about not having a decent spare for the road. the tires themselves cost two fifty. the rims are around three fifty so you see its a great deal.

If you have any questions about them give me a holler. I can tell you pretty much everything about them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
While I was selling Land Rovers, I got many chances to drive all of them. Plus delivered several from CA to NV. For me the V6 LR3 S "strippy" model is the best Land Rover available for my purposes, now that the Discovery is no longer available. - - - - So you're wondering who this whacko is? Well, both my LR's are used more for off-roading than on the highway; I have no use for leather seats, sunroofs, multi-speaker high powered sound systems, in-dash nav, armrests, dvds, or a lot of other "luxury necessities". Just give me a very basic, off-road capable rig.

The LR3 S V6 fits the bill, except that I'd like to see one available like you can get overseas with coil springs instead of air. Too bad it can't be lifted and fitted with 16 inch wheels.

Note also - Both my present rigs are "S" models - "Keeping it simple" :rellye

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Huh... I've driven both the V6 and V8 LR3's.. for several hundred miles each. The V6 model is disappointing, very flat acceleration compaired to it's V8 brother. The V6 model I drove was an SE though.. that is what is said on the tailgate anyway, didn't think you could get the V6 in the SE trim. Otherwise, it was loaded with everything except Nav. It had rear air, 7 seats, everything. My suggestion is to buy the V8, then you never have to look back and say.. I wish I would have bought the other one. I would imagine resale value will be affected as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
JC, sorry didn't see your post before today. We didn't get the 3rd row seating but we have used the truck to help move my sister, my wife's grandmother and her parents. handled everything just fine, no problem with performance when loaded.

we didn't drive the V8 so don't have a point of comparison. i like the 6 just fine and don't find the acceleration in the least dissapointing. the '6 has a slight edge on fuel economy if that matters to you. we get 16-17 in daily driving and around 20 highway (at 80-85mph). my wife and i are both a bit heavy in the foot, a more conservative driver should get better mileage than we do (oh an most of our driving is in NJ rush hour traffic, accelerate to 50 mph then stop, back to 50 then stop again, repeat every 100 yards or so until you get to work).

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I would think the 6cyl would be fine for power.....it produces almost as much as my 4.0L 8cyl and ive got 265/75-16 tires and it still doesnt seem that sluggish....

.....maybe its the loud engine and exhaust that does it.....makes me feel as though im going faster when im not?

·
2,437 Posts
when the v8 opens up at WOT its alot more power trust me.

Let me tell you the V6 doesnt get into traffic as fast as the V8.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.