Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello there! first timer on this forum...i have a problem: MY 87 ROVER WONT GO! i can start it up and it will run fine for awhile, but eventually the gas cuts out and it starts chuging until it dies. it runs fine otherwise. we are thinking its a fuel pump problem or something blocking the air intake. any help would be appriciated....cheers!
-kelsey

·
Registered
590 Posts
Try changing the fuel filter first.

Its way cheaper then the fuel pump.

also, try ramming a bottle of techron down the gas tank just in case it needs some.

How long have you owned the rig?

·
Registered
590 Posts
How old are the spark plug wires?

Could have a bad one.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Some more info if you please! How long have you had this problem? Has it just suddenly happened? Does it happen each time you start it? Have you had any work done on it recently? Does it only happen at start up or after you are rolling?

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Check the feul system for the following:
1) Loose crap or rust in your tank: With the suction created while the motor is running the stuff bloks the pipe. once the enjin dies the stuff floats away to other parts of the tank.

2) Carb running hot: If you have the old 2.25 enjin ('87 might still have them) and your carb is not 100% insolated from the manufold by means of a gasket it could happen that the carb becomes to hot and the feul in the float chamber acctually starts evapurating.

3) Pertol pump to hot: same as above

Electrical.

Check for cracks in the distributor. as the enjin is cold the crack is not critical but as it heats up and the metal/ plastic expands the crack widens and you start to "loose" spark

Old plug leads will also do this

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help people! to answer some questions:
-it started doing this about a week or so ago
-i've had the car for a littel over a year
-have not had any major work (other than brakes) done on it

is there any chance i could get in and check the fuel filter myself? im no rover wiz, but i think with the help of one of my buddies we might be able to get in there. i will also check the spark plugs. i will ALSO throw some techron in there....

also, the car will run for a while, but will eventually crap out (mostly when you start going up an incline)

again, thank you guys for all of your help!!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Thanks for the input Yanni. Did you perhaps fill up with fuel after nearly running the tank dry? If so, you have probably got some crap blocking your fuel filter as a result. I would look here first. It's also possible that you may have a loose earth lead. Lets know how you make out.

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
dying on an incline is your petrol pump starting to pack up!

The pump still have enough vacume for level road and down hill but as soon as you go uphill it cant pump against the increased gravity. (youl also find the same symtom if you try to excalirate as fast as possible?)

Get a Recon kit for your pump. It is less than 1/2 hours work

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.