Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking size out of the equation (eg the 110 has more storage space, but the 90 is easier to park in the city), does anyone have an opinion about which is the superior model both on and off the road?

Intended use: 70% urban, 30% offroad.

Also, are there any firm plans by LR to replace the Defender in the near future? I've seen 2005, 2007 and 2008 quoted?

Cheers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Go the 130

I know its not the answer you are after but

the 90's fine
and the 110's ok
but all the fun in a 130.

I can't remember the last time I had trouble changing lanes. Storage space well hay the free cartons for moving people, picking up their new bed, fridge etc and as dor parking well if you want to learn how to put a big truck in a small hole and amaze magicians this has to be the truck for you. It's like a mobile phone but in reverse.

all I can say about a SWB is you tend to rock or bounce more of road leaving wheels in the air more, a LWB is better for ruts in as more wheel base leaves the wheels further apart in comparison to the ruts and you tend to have less side to side travel in the ruts. This is of course my opinion, based on experience in a SWB toyota, rocky and a LWB Patrol. I can not give any advice on a 90 or 110.
I would remember to keep your intended purpose for the car, a SWB does fill up quickly for a week away. At least you have it right and are looking at a landrover. :bgreen:
Adam

·
Registered
222 Posts
Both wheelbases have they're advantages and disadvantages-

The 90 is by far the better off-road performer. They have a shorter rear-overhang, and have more ground-clearance when it comes to the over-ramp angle. They are also more nimble, allowing them to get round tight turns without needing to take another 'bite' like a LWB. They are also that little bit faster and/or economical.
The big disadvantage is the lack of load-space. For all the reputation as a heavy-duty working vehicle, you can't carry much in the back of a 90. A 7-seater is only fit for 7 people on short journeys, and even then only if they don't have luggage. You can just about squeeze a bicycle in the back of a 90.

110s are much more practicle from a load-space view. A Hard Top will carry almost anything, and if you get a Station Wagon you can carry 10/12 people and its not too much of a squeeze. Off-road in mud, sand, ruts, etc. they are just as good as a 90, loosing out only in very bumpy, rocky terrain. You also lose a bit of available power as you have the same engine lugging more weight.

On-road, the 110 has the better ride quality- more like an early Range Rover. They are more stable when towing and have a longer range before you need to fill up the tank. The 90 has a rather see-saw ride on anything but a very smooth surface, and there's quite a bit of body roll as well.

I've always found the 110 to have better visibity as well. The rear side-doors are positioned much better for looking out of when emerging from junction, moving lanes etc. than a thick 'pillars' between the doors and the windows on a 90- but that's just for me.

I think that's it

Jack

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adam and Jack - Thanks for your feedback guys. I appreciate your patience as I am totally clueless (with regard to Defenders) at this stage. I was told by a dealer this morning that if i wanted a 90 I'd better hurry as they won't be importing them to Australia anymore - down to the last 30 at a highly 'subsidised' price of $39,970. Apparently the 90 just didn't sell in Australia. This would have made my decision easier, if it wasn't for Adam's 130 suggestion.

Have a good weekend.
Rick

·
Registered
238 Posts
Go the 130

Rick
As much as I am very bias to a 130 I do warn you soooooo many people come out of the wood work who need a hand moving. This of course has it's up side :beer: and lots of it.
It's interesting to hear that the are droping the sale of the 90 in Aus also a shame. But then again it sell worse than the 130 does.
Adam

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Wheelbase Woes

My suggestion is to honestly consider what will the greatest use be of so substantial an investment. All the comments thus far have been right on the money with what each wheelbase offers, or lacks. Only you can decide what your predominant use will be. I have had more than a few 88" and a couple 109" vehicles. My daily vehicle is a 110. As much as I agree with the comments regarding shorter wheelbase "generally" being an advantage when offroading, there are circumstances that a longer wheelbase will actually aid you. Bottom line is question of sole searching. I have the advantage of a few years more than the average Landy Lover, and must say that ride and cargo capacity are more important to me at the end of the day. While there is only 18" more wheelbase on a 110 over a 90, that 18" equates to alot more truck. The flip side also means that a 90 is only 18" shorterand, quite abit less truck. The terrain I have covered offroading is not the Moab kind of hills and rocks, just New England logging roads, grassy slopes, some of which are steep, and enough mud thrown into the mix to make it fun. I can't think of a situation I avoided because of my wheelbase, and frankly, often find myself wishing I had a 130" 4 door with Hicap box. Given our weather here, and notwithstanding 130CC's comments about the leaks on a hardtop, I'd still take a SW body over a soft-top, if it were to be my only ride.
Clearly, the above is as much opinion as suggestion, and we all know opinions are like noses(substituted for another anatomical component for the more genteel) We each have one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TerryS - Thanks for the insite. At the end of the day, particularly in my case, I think it does come down to some soul searching. The bottom line is that I have a wife and two young children. The wife is now using our 98 Range Rover (yes, to cart the kids around) and now that I'm driving her incredibly dull 11 year old Mercedes sedan I have SUV/4WD envy! Pretty shallow I know. In retaliation I was thinking of taking a proper 4WD driving course and going down the selfish bastard path (buying a two seater 90), but I think the 110 is probably more sensible (terrible word 'sensible').

Will not bore you with anymore self-analysis - it's just bad taste on a Land Rover website.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Rick said:
TerryS - Thanks for the insite. At the end of the day, particularly in my case, I think it does come down to some soul searching. The bottom line is that I have a wife and two young children. seater 90), but I think the 110 is probably more sensible (terrible word 'sensible').

Will not bore you with anymore self-analysis - it's just bad taste on a Land Rover website.

Cheers.
The last 2 door 4x4 I had was a Ford Bronco II. The last day I drove it was a very rainy saturday, with my then 9 yr. old twins in the back, and 6 stops to make. Are you getting the picture? After dropping the kids off at the house, my next stop was the Ford dealer, and bought a new Explorer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts