Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 91 and my ps belt squeals a bit when cold. I'm used to my 4 and 4.6 in my other trucks. After removing the air box and alternator all I can say is wtf? Is this seriously designed this way? I loosened the bottom and only got the top front by unplugging the distributor amp and bending a sacrificial 13mm wrench but the back one...can't get a socket in due to the stupid bracket design angled over it and the distributor could not be in a worse spot...Do you seriously have to pull the distributor to tighten a freaking belt???

· Registered
638 Posts
I'd say no
But the bolt on the slide will lock when you tighten it
Taking off the alternator makes it Easter
Even though nothing about these is easy
Good luck

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to budge it by a hair with a lever and a few taps of a hammer but I could not get to that rear top nut to be able to freely adjust it.... No manual or net search shows anything and the RAVE just says to loosen the top pivot nuts... Um, Ya, I'll get right on that... Surely someone out there has dealt with this... I'm not shy to clean around and mark then pull the distributor but this seems ridiculous for a belt adjustment... Knowing this, I really want to investigate what it takes to convert to serp belt... Looks like all of the accesories are different and I will need the brackets and pulleys and such but what a PITA to keep this set up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.