Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to take a look at a '91 RRC in a couple of days. I was wondering if anyone can give me a heads up for what to look out for. The truck looks good from the internet ad but looks can be deceiving.

It has the 3.9L and is lifted 6" with an OME lift and 33s. The guy wants $4950 but Edmund's says it's only worth about $2200 retail and $1300 private party. I had to guess at the mileage since he didn't post it in his ad so I put 150000 and I also selected "Clean" condition.

I've owned a '99 D1 with a 4.0L so I know the quirks that those have. Just wondering if there's anything specific about the RRCs. Thanks for any info and a quick reply.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The price depends how badly you want it. No mileage..probably nothing to brag about. '91...floor, tailgate, upper and bottom, rust? Was it beat up by rock crawling? How many electric things don't work may tell you if someone gave a .... about it.
There are other treads on this forum about buying a RRC.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Rust rust and more rust. Check under the carpets, check the rear outer seat belt anchors check the rear load space and tail gates.

I'd be interested in how he did the lift as well since OME only goes up to 3" of lift. I'm guessing some big spring spacers or a body lift. Maybe a combo of both.

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The price depends how badly you want it. No mileage..probably nothing to brag about. '91...floor, tailgate, upper and bottom, rust? Was it beat up by rock crawling? How many electric things don't work may tell you if someone gave a .... about it.
There are other treads on this forum about buying a RRC.
Thanks for the heads up on the rust. Not sure of much rock crawling in Florida. We do take to the swamps a bit and get our feet wet though. I did the cursory forum search for other threads but none that I found answered my questions.

I'm particularly interested in the 3.9L and transmission. I do my own wrench turning so I'm not afraid to get my hands greasy. Just wanting to know what to look for and expect if I do wind up buying it.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
The 3.9 if maintained is pretty bullet proof as Rover motors go. They don't suffer from the slipped liner issue. I had one that hit 250k, another at 170k and a 3.5 at 162k. The only one that actually died was the 3.5 and that was because of outside causes not the motors fault.

If you take care of the maintenance they will last. Cams are the biggest wear point really.

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rust rust and more rust. Check under the carpets, check the rear outer seat belt anchors check the rear load space and tail gates.

I'd be interested in how he did the lift as well since OME only goes up to 3" of lift. I'm guessing some big spring spacers or a body lift. Maybe a combo of both.
I was wondering about that as well. When I had my D1 I wanted to purchase the OME HD 3" lift for it. Never saw a 6" OME when I was looking. 6" lift is a little much for my tastes/needs. Do you think I can reduce it to 3" (if possible) and still be able to run the 33s?

Anyhow, thanks again for the heads up on the engine & rust. I'll post what I find.

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went this morning to check the truck out and was sorely disappointed. It had advance stages of cancer under the drivers floor pan (rotted through, the hole was about 3"x10"), in the drivers rocker panel, in the tail gate and load space, and on the fire wall and probably a lot of other places I missed. The exhaust was hanging with clothes hanger wire, the motor and transmission were hemorrhaging all types of fluid and there were several hoses and wires cut in the engine compartment. Man, this guy was nuts to post it for anything over $1000. Soooo, I'm still looking.

I didn't expect it to be perfect but man, for asking $4950 it should have been close...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If you take your time and don't mind traveling you can still find decent Rangies for realistic prices. Try to find a bone stock example or professionally/very good ameter modified unit. You're absolutely correct, $5,000 should get you a very nice RRC with no faults or rust at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.