Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

92 Classic "Exhaust Glow"

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Irvin 
#1 ·
:beer: Maybe this has been going on for a while, but I never noticed. I just had the radiator,oil cooler lines, Tranny cooler lines, and the tranny cooler replaced in my 92 Rover Classic. On the ride home from the mechanics garage I pushed the 3.9 pretty hard to really check out the new cooling parts. The ride concluded with a long huge uphill ,including my long snowcovered driveway. When I opened the hood to inspect the new parts I noticed that both exhaust manifolds were glowing hot. I mean they were bright orange!! The cooling system seems fine but the service engine light is on. The vehicle has 160,000 mileage. About 3 months ago a hole on top of the center muffler developed to the point of muffler replacement. The 3.9 has lost a step or two in the last 3 or 4 months. Could the catylitic converters be plugging?? My mechanic states the service engine light is not exhaust related, he says the check engine light covers bad exhaust. ?? Is exhaust manifold glow normal?? The one manifold is only 1 yr old, it would be nice not to warp a new part.ANY THOUGHTS?? :beer:

#3 ·
The Service Engine light has no relation to anything going on under the hood. It is simply a light, triggered by the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) at predetermined intervals. The SRU (Service Reminder Unit) is a small brown cased relay with a reset hole beneath the LR sticker. The SRU is what controls the light.
The Check Engine light is tripped when the ECU detects an out-of- perameter codition. That is the light to be concerned with.

Glowing exhaust is neither uncommon, or much to be concerned about, though you might want to have your service man check your timing to be certain it is advanced at least 6 degrees BTDC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.