Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Fisher used to make a snowplow outfit specifically designed for the Series trucks, but haven't sold it for years. I have seen plows on Defender trucks, such an an EX-MOD up in Quebec, From a technical point of view, I don't suppose there are any reasons a Rangie with LT-230, or a Disco couldn't also move snow, though I'm not sure how much I would enjoy an airbag deployment. I'm only guessing here, but the 7 1/2 foot fisher on my F-250 probably weighs 700-800 pounds, plus the weight of the mount portions attached to the truck. Where do you figure the front end of a Classic, or Disco is going to be when the plow is raised? Don't count on your rear brakes pinching in much effort if you have to come to a quick stop either. That amount of weight hanging that far out the front is going to take all the chassis weight off the rear end. If it's an old series truck you're thinking about plowing with, have a look around for an old Fisher Suburban (not the GMC) Thats what Fisher called the plow made for Land Rover. It was pretty slick. All three cylinders were on the plow, and apart from the two pins, down below, there were just two chains attached to the truck frame up top.
Of coarse, you could always get one of those clear plastic plows I have seen on some jeeps, Suzukis and S-10 sized vehicles, but, they aren't much bigger than the plow on an ATV. Everytime I see one, I think "Show some pride man, get home with that thing"

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nice plow setup. Is that truck stock or did you put heavier springs in the front?

One thing to note: the Range Rover is a very heavy duty vehicle with an absolutely massive steel ladder frame beneath it. Mounting a plow isn't a problem, its the suspension which can be, as the RR employs a soft suspension to allow for excellent off-road performance. THis would, of course, sag the nose badly when the plow is raised.

On a P38 with air suspension the truck would probably do great, as that machine has (amazingly) an even bigger stronger frame under it then even the Classic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is most interesting..
-I live in a pretty snowy area and don´t quite see the point of converting a RR into a snow plow.. RR is after all a 4x4 and a pretty competent one, which again renders the use of snowplows pretty much useless. Plus it spoils the pleasure of driving in heavy snow and damages the otherwise excellent car.
-But that is just my silly point of view.. :wave:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey robert....what the heck is that hunk of iron it is attached too?? What do you do in the non snow months with your RR???

·
Registered
13 Posts
The plow comes off, and the bumper and brackets stay on the Rover. They are all welded to the frame. I don't use this Range Rover off road so I am not worried about ground clearance. The Classic is well suited for plowing given the heavy frame and good low end torque. The only "problem" are the soft front springs. With no additional support the suspension is on the bump stops. That is where the air springs come in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This Rover is now 15 years old,and its value is limited. The plow works great and does not affect the driveability of the car even when the plow is on. Remember Rovers started as work vehicles so this is a natural extension of that. I have two others that are stock. This Rover actually moves snow better than a large pick-up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ClassicRange said:
This is most interesting..
-I live in a pretty snowy area and don´t quite see the point of converting a RR into a snow plow.. RR is after all a 4x4 and a pretty competent one, which again renders the use of snowplows pretty much useless. Plus it spoils the pleasure of driving in heavy snow and damages the otherwise excellent car.
-But that is just my silly point of view.. :wave:
You've never plowed snow have you!

It's an absolute hoot. I moved to sunny Ca and I miss my winter fun. When my brother gets a big snow fall in Utah I hustle out and drive one of the plows to help him out! (he plows on the side - a nice winter business to keep the cash flow coming in). The most fun of all is getting bundled up and plowing with a quad 4X4

Carl "plowing fool" Johansson

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Robert, Thanks for the plow info. I knew it would only be a matter of time before finding a RRC plow person. I currently have a 6.5 ft Western Plow on a 73 Landcruiser. Cruiser body is really shot. How do you think a Western Plow would convert ( I realize a bit of creative welding helps) to the 92 RRC?? Also, excuse my ignorance but what are Firestone airbags?? Thanks.
:beer:

·
Registered
12 Posts
RobertGraves said:
This Rover is now 15 years old,and its value is limited. The plow works great and does not affect the driveability of the car even when the plow is on. Remember Rovers started as work vehicles so this is a natural extension of that. I have two others that are stock. This Rover actually moves snow better than a large pick-up.
I see your point. This kind of conversion simply hadn´t crossed my mind. But one keeps learning new things, which is good.

Cheers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.