Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 92 classic LSE which I love,but I am having some serious problems with I think electrical stuff.I'll try to discribe whats happening.
Her goes.
She was running fine then started to stall at stop sign's.Got back home to unload and take off again but it would not start.Have looked up info on rovers net and tried to trouble shoot my self.
The symtems were as follows. It would start ,then stop but if I kept the ignition engaged and cranking it would run I could smell gas sometimes in the cargo area so took a look at the fuel pump.
The line's were rotten and on cranking gas would spew everywhere,I thought I was lossing fuel presure and put it down to that.
We then put in a brand new pump with all fittings and tried again.It did the same thing.A friend who runs a local mechanic shop came over to see if he could help and said the ignition switch was not engaging in the right position but we had power to the fuel pump,we had gas,we had air and also compresion,but it still would'nt start.We got the ignition key to operate in the correct position but then lost power to the fuel pump.I have probed the wire to the fuel pump and get power as far as the enursher switch and spent the last 2 days trying to find the other end and where it connects which if anyone has done knows its in the main wiring harness behind the heaters,which are in pieces in the back of my RR. I don't no what to do next and would appreciate anyone's input at this time.
Thanks

Beller

·
Registered
424 Posts
Get your fuel injectors cleaned, see if that clears it up. They are somewhat pricey for new, but if its teh problem, you may have to do that. We had a set of injectors that after a few hours after cleaning, they would gum up again. I'm thinking since your lines were in such disrepair that crap probably went through your system and clogged them up, its probably fuel starving.

-edit, seems i read it wrong.. if you fix your ignition issue and it's still not running right, try what I said.

Have you tried replacing the ignition switch? Replaced fuses?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
I have a new ignition in the last 4 months,all fuses seem to be good and also had the fuel injectors serviced in the last couple of months. New coil new tps and the ignition modual is working but still no power to the fuel pump.
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT
beller

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can recommend three areas that may be causing you’re problem.

The first is the fuel temp sensor. It’s on top the engine near the water temp sensor. I had this sensor go bad on a ’95 Discovery with the 3.9 and had similar symptoms.

Another component I would check is the throttle body intake. I bet you have a great deal of carbon build up in the throttle body and intake. If you can find it, buy a can of BG Throttle Body & Intake Cleaner from a BG dealer. I think the website address is www.bgprod.com

I’d also purchase a can of BG44K to run through the fuel tank. These products are FANTASTIC and will clean up the engine. If you can find the spray, remove the rubber air intake hose at the throttle body and thoroughly spray the cleaner inside (engine off at this point). You might want to put a rag under the intake because a great deal of carbon will run out. Repeat this a few times until you remove most of the black carbon deposits. With the intake hose still off, wait about five minutes for the cleaner to evaporate and then start the engine. You’ll probably need to put one hand on the throttle under the hood when you get it running to keep it from dying. Then with the engine running, spray additional cleaner into the throttle body. You’ll need to pull the throttle linkage to keep the engine running because it will want to die from the cleaner being sprayed into the intake. You’ll probably notice a great deal of black smoke exiting the exhaust. This is the carbon being blown out the exhaust.

After cleaning the intake I would remove the idle stepper motor (rear left hand side of the engine as you face it) and use the BG cleaner to remove the carbon and gunk build up on the stepper motor. If this “valve” is dirty (which they tend to get), it often manifests itself by the engine dying when coming to a stop or low rpm.

The last thing I would check is the vacuum tubing just in front of the intake plenum that has the three way tee. If this tee is blocked with carbon and gunk, it will cause all kinds of idle and engine running issues. Again, use the BG cleaner to spray through the plastic tee. Take care not to break the tee when removing the hoses. They get a bit brittle with age and it’s one of those parts you would have to purchase from Land Rover because of the odd sizes of each side of the tee.

These are the only ideas that I can offer. Good luck and I hope this solves your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, and thanks.
I will do as you sugest starting with the sensor and moving on.
It seem's I have opened up a can of worms which need to be put right.
Will keep you posted on any progres
beller

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
beller said:
Still no joy '
Any more input would be great
Ign Amplifier relocation kit. The stock Ign Amp heats up and causes all kinds of electrical havoc. It happened on my 88 RR, on my 91 RR and on my partner's 91 RR. I have two of them (used but in good condition) if you want to try them.

Sorry, I didn't read the full msg.

Fuel pump: did you check the connection under the rear DS wheel well? Inertia switch? Relay?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys.
It seems that all of the problems now are related to the ecu.
I have a used one that is also not working.
Anyone know of a good source,either used or new?
Thanks for all the input and info,much needed.
Beller

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.