Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the lines are leaking from the resovoir to the steering box. I've heard there is a stop leak power steering fluid that will plug up the leaks.How tough to replace, and $$ are replacement lines? I can hear the steering whine when I turn the wheel. Maybe the P/S pump is bad. :dunno:

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Bottom of the reservior is a hose clamp the rest are swag fittings.
I have added Lucas Stop Leak to my reservior but the leak has only slowed not stopped.
New lines will be ordered soon. I think they are in the 170$(US) range for a complete set. No big deal to replace.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
First thing you need to do is identify the leak. Most likely (like you and others indicated) it's from under the reservoir. Remove the old clamps and install new ones (if you can, purchase some zebra brand clamps). Make sure you clean the PS hoses well.

If you are leaking fluid under the steering pump (above the pitman arm) then try some Lucas Stop Leak, it works fine but if the seals are too worn down it won't help.

If none of the above does not work then buy new hoses or any hydraulic hose shop can make you some (if you bring in the old ones). If one of the hoses break and fluid sprays onto the manifolds your Disco will end up like most US D110s (in the salvage yard with engine fires).

Good luck.

· Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
I had some leak stop in my coolant spray over that side of the engine a few months back. The grains in the stop leak worked its way into the plastic cover that wraps around the HP hose, and caused it to fail. I replaced it and cleaned out the rest of them before it happend again.

If you are getting a whine, then your fluid is LOW.. That or there is air in the system. If you fill it up it will eventually work out, or you can put the front end on jack stands and turn the wheel chock to chock about 30 times ( although it always takes me double that )

Leaking PS fluid will burn.. be careful..

Having new ones re built is an option, IF you have a good hose house nearby. Most people dont' have that luxury. The ones that fail predominately are the High Pressure ones.. The one that usually goes bad is one from the pump ( engine ) to the Box.

A good idea is to clean them up with engine de greaser to see where its comming from. Most likely it will just be a loose clamp under your reservior. Check the output shaft on the box going to the steering arm to see if the box is leaking ( another common failure point )

Good luck!
:rellye

· Registered
95 Posts
1991 Range Rover - 174K miles

Power steering gear box was first to go at 130K on mine. These boxes are NOTORIOUS for leaking. I didn't do the work but I believe new lines were put in at the time.

see www.ramgerovers.net for parts sources. I think Meridian is the recommended rebuild from my most recent study of this item.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.