Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, picked up a 92 SWB with 156k back in January. Was running and driving pretty nice and I was using it as my daily driver. Then I figured I'd do some service stuff. So I got a new dizzy cap- rotor wasn't supposed to be in for a couple more days. I made the mistake of buying it from Autozone. Now the cap I put on first with the old rotor and it was okay. Little hard to get on but it ran fine like that until I replaced the rotor. I had a hell of a time getting the cap back on with the new rotor. I even tried it with the old rotor- same thing. I eventually managed to get the clips on and fired it up. Didn't run very well and made a clicking noise. So I pulled the cap back off and the rotor had shattered. Thinking the Dizzy cap must not be a perfect fit, I got a new rotor and also drove an hour to pick up an actual Lucas dizzy cap. Got that on plus the new rotor and the rotor shattered again. I cannot figure out what the problem is. It's acting like the rotor is too tall but I don't see how it can be. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time and money on what should be a simple job and the car has been down for like four days. I'm getting quite desperate so I wondered if anyone here had any thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi--

I did a cap and rotor on my 95 LWB, and while doing it, realized that the distrib can and will pull apart. The factory distrib is not like other vehicles, it is held together with some tiny springs and some oring clips. If you pull up on the rotor without pushing the distrib down, you can dislodge the distrib from itself. It is not something that cannot be rebuilt... but it may be in order. I had a similar symptom with my cap not fitting when I did this. Had to delicately reattach springs.

Thinking about doing the petronix upgrade this summer... have the distrib and ignition coil... just hate changing things that are not broken!

M

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thank you, I've been out of town this weekend so pardon the slow response. Like you did, I realized something was wrong underneath to I took it apart. Both springs were unhooked as well as one of the bobs. I put everything back in order . It still refuses to start. The only thing I can think of is that the springs look kind of stretched out. I'm running out of ideas here. Since I put the springs back together there is not so much play (springs back) and it feels right but it just won't fire. I'm getting quite frustrated with this. Anyone got any fresh ideas?

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Yes thank you, I've been out of town this weekend so pardon the slow response. Like you did, I realized something was wrong underneath to I took it apart. Both springs were unhooked as well as one of the bobs. I put everything back in order . It still refuses to start. The only thing I can think of is that the springs look kind of stretched out. I'm running out of ideas here. Since I put the springs back together there is not so much play (springs back) and it feels right but it just won't fire. I'm getting quite frustrated with this. Anyone got any fresh ideas?
I think you missed the point about breaking the plastic clips. If you pull too hard when removing the rotor you will break a plastic clip that holds the shaft together. Now that you have removed the distributor, you may now have issues with the timing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you missed the point about breaking the plastic clips. If you pull too hard when removing the rotor you will break a plastic clip that holds the shaft together. Now that you have removed the distributor, you may now have issues with the timing.

Which clips are you referring to? I don't believe I removed anyting plastic. Additionally, I didn't actually take the whole distributor off the car just the lower cover plate to get access to the centrifugal weights and springs. So how would it be out of time? Sorry if I sound a bit thick all my previous experience was with 4.0 discos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would say that you should pull the distrib. I do not know how you can reattach those springs and o-rings with it still in the car. Attempting that would have most likely caused a broken toe, as I would have kicked the front left wheel very hard.

At best guess, Ian is right, and you might have missed something in the distrib's rebuild, and the timing is off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say that you should pull the distrib. I do not know how you can reattach those springs and o-rings with it still in the car. Attempting that would have most likely caused a broken toe, as I would have kicked the front left wheel very hard.

At best guess, Ian is right, and you might have missed something in the distrib's rebuild, and the timing is off.[/QUOTE
I must have been lucky...all I had to do was hook the springs back up. The timing was a bit off so I adjusted the distributor body then once it was running did dynamic timing with the light so it is now timed at 6 degrees BTDC. It runs smoother than ever now while you're rolling but it does have weird idle issues sometimes...will surge and then drop though it has never yet stalled. so that is an issue I need to figure out but I'm glad to have it back on the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.