Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

So when I bought my County LWB it needed an inspection done before I could insure it. Needed the following fixed: ABS Light on, Passenger driver-side door wouldn't open, horn and hazard lights not working, left-side tie rod end outer replaced, pitman arm and brake pin missing.

Passenger driver side door was the little metal clip that holds the arm in place so when you pull the handle it opens, it was broken and the child safety lock was on. Simply opened up the panel, popped the child lock, opened the door and put back together the arm so it opens.

Tie rod end and brake pin missing: I have ordered the whole front end for tie rod issue. (Center bar, both tie rod ends, etc) figured might as well replace the works and don't have to deal with it for a long time coming. Ordered a brake repair kit with pins. Might as well work those all in new as well, again to safe the hassle. Currently waiting on those to come this week.

Pitman arm: Need to get under and rip it out, see if its the ball that needs to get replaced or the linkage arm. Not sure yet and haven't ordered to fix due to ...Want to know what to order! Will update.

Horn and hazard lights: Well, this is a problem. Probably my hardest issue really. I figured since blinkers all work, hazards should work. Must be a fuse... So simple, replace the fuse and boom! Hazards came on no problem. I figured fantastic, however since hazards and horn are on the same fuse.. Horn should work now as well. Hit the horn and get a very, very quiet lil noise and then fries the fuse.

I'm going to check out the horn tomorrow and see if its corroded to hell and back or what's what there. Any ideas on the problem besides huge electrical mess would be appreciated. (I'm really hoping I can just clean it up and get a better connection on the horn and everythings fine and dandy.)

Lastly, ABS Light is on... This is kind of out of my range. I'm not sure why it is on and I'd rather not take it to the dealer and pay out the wazoo to have them click a button so I may resort to seeing a mechanic that my aunt knows to play with this one unless someone has an idea.

Other issues that I am toying with not related to the inspection:
The rover was converted from Air Ride to Springs. However the linkage for air ride is still all there, broken but there. I need to remove it so the lovely mechanics that inspect it don't tell me to fix it even though it's serving no purpose what so ever. Any ideas on the difficulty in this or pretty straight forward?

The back upper gate with the glass, rusted to hell and back and its really like.. 90% of the time won't even unlock. Easy to find a replacement for a fair price or should I just have a metal shop cut something up for me?

The Cassette (My god why Cassette!) player is busted. I haven't tried putting a tape in it yet since the radio won't even register. I have some CD decks and such laying around... What's the easiest way to pop this current one out?

Other then that! For booting it around the yard a bit and such I love this thing, can't wait to really get some use out of it. Waiting on parts to come in really isn't fun. I want to ride this damn thing!

Thanks for reading, thanks for any advice should you leave some and all that good stuff.

I am located in BC, Canada for any people interested.

And a picture of my LWB.
View image: 93 Rover County LWB

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome, looks like a good project.
The horn could be a ground issue or maybe a fusible link issue. I don't know where that ground is, but anytime you are working and come across a ground, take it apart and clean it up. Do a search on fusible links. They are problematic as well. Best way is to replace with a later model fuse box from a discovery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, congrats on the new truck. Whereabouts in BC are you? The photo looks like somewhere in the interior.

Tape Deck.. there is a 6-disk changer and sub in the trunk. You can have everything fixed by these people: GB 4x4 RADIOS They'll even add an iPhone input if you ask.

Rear glass hatch.. you can buy an aluminum replacement kit for the trim. I think it's a bit pricey though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You need a new horn. If a Fusible link has blown it wouldn't work at all.

Buy a rear hatch kit if you want cheap. Buy the entire aluminum rear hatch with glass if you want easy.

You can get a code for the ABS. That will get you started in the right direction.

Just remove the EAS height sensors and tie off the wiring harness.

Not much room for aftermarket radios in a classic Rangie. Pick one that is 5" or less deep or you will have difficulty fitting it.

Welcome to the magical world of old Range Rovers. The best vehicles on earth.

Loads of info on rangerovers.net

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.