Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work today was great. Raining, had the 3 year old in the back singing Steely Dan, Starbucks didnt screw up my double espresso...it was a good day. After I close up the shop. Jumped in and she cranked but didnt turn over. Called up my pack mule AAA and had her dropped off at the mechanic who works on rovers at a Shell station. Things I'm thinking could be wrong.

Inertia switch?
failing fuel pump (that was replaced last year along with the filter and some lines)
checked the cap and rotor...it was dry (didnt see about a spark but being as it was driving like a champ earlier...so prob not)
Possibly Crank position Sensor?

Anything else I'm missing? These are all things the mechanic will ask me as well since he's a British nerd...I just like to speed things up for him as he's known me my entire life. Anything else I could be missing?

Thanks

S

·
Certified RRC Nut
12 Posts
No CPS on a 93. Did you try using ether to eliminate an ignition fault?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't tried ether. I'll mention it to my mechanic but I'd assume he'd try that. He does have 4 - P38's he keeps running somehow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Couple thing to check before getting in too deep.

My 90 blew a fuel pump relay randomly once. (its located under passenger seat)

Also check that all your electrical connections are tight. One time the connector to the MAF sensor was not fully clicked in. The car would not start and it took me forever to figure that one out and it was just a simple click.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 94 Range Rover LWB. I have owned it for 10 years, and no one works on it but me. This happened to me once; the thing wouldn't start! it would Crank, But not fire. (Cranking and turning over are kind of the same thing) the first thing to do is to find out if it has spark? Never assume you have spark because it was running? if it does have spark, you do need to be sure. Then you can assume it's not getting fuel. Some one else replied it could be the fuel pump relay. That is what the problem was for me, Once.well twice if you count different rovers. The second time it was the fuel pump. Lucky for you, or your mechanic, they made an access hole under the mat in the cargo area. Do not buy just the motor if it is the fuel pump, it will be far easier to get the whole thing in one unit. The wiring may be slightly different, one version you need to alter the fuel pump plug, the other has an extra wire that does nothing apparently. Does your 93 have a diagnostic display box under the passenger seat, I forget what they call them. lol It displays codes on it and can help with various things, just google range rover classic engine codes. I carry a fuel pump relay, actually a few different relays, a bunch are the same. They are small and I don't like walking to highways or home, it is cheap insurance. The day before my fuel pump went out, I was getting on the freeway, so a little more throttle than normal was being applied, It sputtered once, like running......key off/on...running......all was fine, I went where I was going 25 miles. Then I shut it off and it would not start again. it warned me I guess, I have had 4 Range rover classics, my 93 and 94 are the only years that the fuel pump relay went out on both of them 1 time each. Both 93 and 94 also had to have a new fuel pump, my 87 and 91 never had this issue. I wouldnt say that that means anything really just a note in my mental files..lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same symptoms, and it was the cap and rotor. Specifically, the button lost contact, probably because someone got overly-handsy with it. Good luck finding your gremlin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts