Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

I just found this nice place surfing around searching a fix for my problem.

I have a 93 LWB Rangie that is in very nice condition. A few days ago the following problem made my day sad...
After my wife had set her seat and mirrors to Number 1 position (she is not a tall person) i entered the car and tried to set the memory to position number 2. Nothing happened. Then after trying all the seat switches i recognized a little noise... The outside mirrors were moving as i pushed around the seat switch buttons! Well that is my situation, I cannot move the driver seat, i cannot move the mirrors using the mirror switch, i can only move the mirrors using the driver side seat switch. Someone told me that there is a special ECU for the seat memory functions, and that this device is causing the problem..
What do You guys think?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

Alex

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I have noticed with mine that you cannot move the seat when the vehicle is in anything but Park. Also the mirrors will only move with the dash switch if the vehicle is in Park.

As for an ECU I'm not sure. Did you check the plug on the back of the switch? Maybe it has become partially unplugged?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All this happens with the vehicle in park...
Will check the plug, but could the plug be a reason for the mirrors moving with only the seat switch pushed?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep, I have the same problem on an intermittant basis and it is one of them 'get round to it' jobs. I have learn't not to move the seat at all until I find the problem as it can end up too near or far. I drove it once with the steering wheel up against my chest :mad: .
I have done some reading and yes there is an ECU and you can also perform a self test using the memmory buttons in a certain way. I found this out using the RR workshop manual 'CD' you can buy off ebay.
I am pretty sure the fault is going to be a bad connection in one of the connectors and I keep meaning to take them apart and give them a squidge of WD40. The only other thing it could be is the switch module at the side of the seat it does feel a bit flimsy and could be damaged if pushed against.
If you want the information on the seat from the CD let me have your email and I can send it to you tommorow.
regards :wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New situation.
I can again move the driver seat.
BUT:
Only when the vehicle ist in DRIVE! Yes, in drive. In all other positions the seat-switch still moves nothing but both outside mirrors. This is some crazy stuff in my Range´s electrics....
Well, at least i can move the seat again...

Alex

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
That is wacky.
There is a kill switch for the memory switches if the vehicle is in anything but Park (and maybe neutral).
But I can use the adjustment switches for my seats with the vehicle in any gear. That is normal (if there is such a thing).

So I'm guessing that the memory function is fried to the seat electrics but still works the mirror electrics.

Now here is one other thing I've noticed.
If I have the seat in memory position 1.
And I press the memory button 1. The seat doesn't move at all, which is expected because it is in the correct position.
But my mirrors move everytime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts