Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'93 White LWB, 235/85R16, 2" OME, Bottorf bumper,
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got word that my insurance Co. will replace my windshield, wondering if anybody has had this done, and if the replacement req'd a new seal or if they re-used the old one.

Did a search here and found PTShram can actually get replacement seals, but he hasn't returned my PM yet. I'm waiting for the glass Co to say they can't get a replacement seal.

Also: I'm worried that they'll screw up the heater element; has anyone had a problem with a glass co. making this nice feature non-working afterward? I would imagine that there is a delicate electrical connection, if they are not familiar with it, I'm worried....

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
I had the one in my '95 LWB replaced once. The bill was $1,750 but I have zero deductible glass coverage so it didn't cost me anything. The glass company that did mine didn't have any problems with the heated glass. They replaced the seal, which I would imagine is required, not optional. As long as they are a reputable shop, and I'm sure they are if your insurance is dealing with them, then you should be fine. If they mess something up then it's on them to fix it.

Colin

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm well versed in this area, having had my 95 lwb windshield replaced twice. Make sure you get a genuine replacement with the wires
Mobile guys will have a hard time with this size. Go to a shop.
the windshields are glued in place.
the moldings are no longer available and have to be renewed
my local dealer (Penske) uses Disco moldings and shortens them.
the results have been just fine, although one of the moldings flew off on the freeway after about 6 month. Incorrect install job and were (both) replaced for free in my driveway.

good luck geneo

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
The '95 windshield was completely different than all the earlier Classic models. The manner in which it was held in place was nothing like that found on the original posters '93. The '93 windshield is a breeze to replace by comparison. There is one electrical connection per side and two at the top behind the mirror. Alert the installers and there should be no problems. The seal hold the window in place with a simple expansion strip. Believe me, your installer will consider it one of his easier installs of the day.

·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seal hold the window in place with a simple expansion strip. Believe me, your installer will consider it one of his easier installs of the day.
Mr. Grant:

Based on your above statement, would you recommend having the work done in a shop vs mobile?

Would you also endorse the trimming of a Disco seal, or would you recommend finding a replacement OEM seal?

Also, my current windshield will only heat on the passenger side (naturally), do you suppose this is the fault of the windshield itself, or perhaps the circuitry?

Thanks, for everyone's help, I feel better now.

I am SO glad to be slowly taking care of these small things on this truck. I came THIS close to selling it this past summer, glad I had the sense not to make THAT mistake again!

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
First, there is nothing with your windshield that shares anything with a Discovery. As I thought I made clear above, it's the'95 Classic that shares the same bonded windshield with the Discovery. There is nothing you're going to salvage from a DI that's going to work on your '93.

I can't imagine there's anything that would require the truck be in a shop for the job to be done right but I would think that would be up to whatever installer you choose.

Lastly, the heated front windshield is not unlike the tailgate. The lines conducting the electricity that heats the Glass is just a lot smaller. You may have anything ranging from breaks in the heating element to a broken contact causing one side not to work properly. The truck is well over 20 years old, anything is possible. If you're getting a brand new heated windshield and the connections are bad you'll know right away and can fix them. If it's the elements in the old glass, no worries, they're being replaced with brand new ones.

·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had the windshield replaced today (in a heated shop), shop was amazed that they could find a heated windshield for this model.

I ALSO found out why the heater element didn't work on the driver's side; the windshield that came out did not have heater leads for the driver, just the passenger! The tech fished into the headliner and A-pillar, and sure enough, found the factory plugs tucked out of the way.

Makes me feel even better: The tech said he's never seen a windshield in such bad shape (pitted). He couldn't understand how I could even see out of it (I thought my night blindness was from old age).

Thanks, all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.