Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi first post here, i have a 94 disco with 103k, have owned about 6 months. could not be happier. but today i was on an interstate, and as i approached 70mph, there was a "shaking" or "shuttering" and the steering wheel began to vibrate pretty severely. i thought i had a flat tire, but after taking an exit and slowing down, the shaking completely went away, and didn't show up the rest of my trip. any thoughts on what this could be? also seems to be downshifting rather hard, had tranny fluid changed about 4k miles ago which seemed to result in very smooth shifts, now shifting is getting hard again. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

· Registered
72 Posts
With the "shuttering check out the bolt that conects the panhard rod to the front diff. these tend to flog out and cause the diff to get sideways movement. Easiest way to check it is lay on floor in front of vehicle and get someone to move steering wheel from side to side, check for movement at the panhard end. If the hole for the bolt is bashed out of shape get the correct size washer and a new(high tensile) bolt and when they are fitted tack weld the washer to the panhard rod. Hope this helps. :drink1:

· Registered
184 Posts
I have a 99 disco 2 and mine started shaking and shuttering at 75 but only around 75. At 70 or 80 it would stop. I took mine to the dealership and they ended up replacing the front driveshaft for $650. The u-joints were bad and you have to replace the whole driveshaft. Mine only had 60,000 miles on it.

· Registered
70 Posts
have what the folks ahead of me said checked and if that's not it check the swivel preload and swivel seals, over time they loosen up and cause vibration and shaking at highway speeds - it's about a $600 fix through an independent mechanic so stay away from the stealership if you can! good luck

· Registered
76 Posts
as a cheaper alternative, i would check your tire tread, is the choppy and uneven? thats usually found at around 70mph....

driveshaft can usually be found at 45mph and 70mph...

· Banned
907 Posts
scotth said:
I took mine to the dealership and they ended up replacing the front driveshaft for $650. The u-joints were bad and you have to replace the whole driveshaft. Mine only had 60,000 miles on it.
Sorry, but you got robbed. The driveshaft is rebuildable. In fact, it uses standered Spicer u-joints avaliable from Napa. The "center kit" is not listed as a "land rover" item, rather a Dodge....Or, you could have gotten a Tom Woods, or GBR shaft for less money, and had a better shaft, FWIW...

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Sounds like you may have thrown a weight....

Check the balancing on your wheels. If you have those stick on weights, the adhesive might have failed and you are now expierencing the out-of-balance condition.

Good luck and let us know.

Adam in NYC :drive:

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have and appointment tomorrow....

Having tires rotated and balanced as well as alignment checked. Tires are new Michelin, only about 10k miles on them so I'm pretty sure it is a suspension issue. After reading posts here and looking through the Haynes repair manual, I believe it is the Panhard Rod, either the bushings need replaced, or the bolts have started to rub the mounting bracket. I will know tomorrow for sure, thanks for everybodys help in the diagnosing.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2004 with 18" wheels and I hate the way the front end steers. Whilst trying to solve my problem, I have come across quite a few remedies. The one that may suit you is that you balance the wheels on the car. I can at times feel an imbalance with mine when I hit a bump at speed. Might be worth a try.

· Registered
72 Posts
Hi CDR 146,
Another thing that is worth checking on higher milage Disco1 (which are the best by the way) is the shockies. The problem is with vehicles with high degrees of articulation they knock the hell out of the shockie and bushes so check they don't need replacing. If they do go for gas charged shockies they give heaps less body roll and the same amount of articulation I put on old man emu shockies and found them brilliant. :drink1:

· Registered
1,506 Posts
cdr146 said:
Having tires rotated and balanced as well as alignment checked. Tires are new Michelin, only about 10k miles on them so I'm pretty sure it is a suspension issue. After reading posts here and looking through the Haynes repair manual, I believe it is the Panhard Rod, either the bushings need replaced, or the bolts have started to rub the mounting bracket. I will know tomorrow for sure, thanks for everybodys help in the diagnosing.
I don't think it's the panhard rod but if you want to check it yourself you can do the following:

Have someone start the engine and move the steering wheel from left to right (about a 1/4 turn or less). Look at the panhard rod, if it has some play in it then replace the bushings and the bolts. It's very important that you replace the bolts also since the get pitted and contribute to the play.

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.