Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the source of my noisey lifter problem has been found, we have low oil pressure. :complain:

How common is an oil pump failure at 100K miles?

The pressure is there, but low (25 PSI cold, 15 PSI cold)

·
Registered
41 Posts
tnomud said:
Well, the source of my noisey lifter problem has been found, we have low oil pressure. :complain:

Hi i know what your problem is, all you need to do is take down your oil pan and take out the pickup and clean it and allso why you have it down you should take off the oil filter and and get a high air pressure air hose and blow out the pick area what i mean is the the little hole put it right in there and watch the stuff fly out. when you take the pick up out. clean everything good and put it all back together and i guarreentee that you will have your oil pressure back. and use 20w/50 motor oil only. take care and have a great day. this will fix your problem.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
tnomud said:

Firstly lifter noise tends not to be caused by low oil pressure ive had V8s where the oil pressure light comes on at idle with no noise,it will be a combination of worn tappets and camshaft,I have a 3.9 disco with 100k on it in exactly the same state very tappy and the oil pressure is 30psi at tick over most V8s with above 80k are in need of replacement cam and tappets i guarantee the two rear most lobes are the most worn,low oil pressure at idle is not really a cause for concern anything around 6-10 psi at idle is acceptable yours at 15/25 psi is particularly good in fact its very good although I would check that the ol pressure relief vale isnt stuck open.Only worry if the oil light comes on at high engine speed/load at tickover it is deemed normal on high mileage V8s.
Oil pumps tend to be reliable however the gears can score the bottom plate and some pressure can be lost here this can be removed and machined to give a flat surface once again.
get a new cam,lifters(tappets),and timing chain and gears as the chain stretches altering cam and ignition timing and of course performance.

Im not trying to preach,ive been down this road myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is my logic (built 600HP 4 bangers and massive V8's for years)...

Low PSI at the pump has to get some loss making it to the top end of the motor. Also, I have seen Chevy V8's flow 40 PSI, but at a very low volume with clogged up passages. It still got great PSI, just low flow rates. I am going to try dropping the pan and investigating my nightmare this weekend. I have a new pump if needed too. Judging by the sludge under the valve cover, I am going to guess that the sludge on the bottom end has to be bad or worse.

Any pointers on changin the oil pump??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.