Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the differences between the 36D and 50D motor for discovery 1
I have a spare engine 36D from 95 discovery, Id like to put into a 1996 D1. just not sure what if its possible or even worth it ?
any help would be appreciated

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Unless you are amazingly good at cutting a hole in the block to accommodate a crank position sensor in your 36D block I would say forget about using it in place of a 50D block. It's easy to take a newer 50D GEMS block and adapt it to a 14CUX configuration. Think about it. GEMS blocks have cutouts for the CKPS and NOX sensors. There's nothing like that on the 36D block.

As far as coil pack vs. distributor, you can switch over front engine covers BUT may also need to change cams. I took a 4.0L from a '96 and adapted it for use in my '85 RRC.

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Can you flip the Gems engine components onto the '95 engine or is it too much work?
Not feasible. Besides the work I mentioned above like cutting a hole into the 36D block to accommodate a CKPS, you'd have to change a good part of the wiring. GEMS is tied directly into the 10as alarm.

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
It will work as long as it's a GEMS engine and not a Bosch. GEMS was used as the engine management system from '95 through early '99 at which point the management system was changed to Bosch. There are no sensors in a Bosch motor that will crossover for use in a GEMS configuration so make sure you're buying a GEMS motor for your DI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.