Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
98 D1 overheating again...need help

My Disco is overheating again. In February I replaced the radiator, thermostat and one of the electric A/C fans. Today, I noticed the tempature climbing as I was idling for about 15 minutes with the full A/C on. I checked the electric fans and only 1 (the one I replaced the closest to the drivers side) was running. So I have a few questions:

1) Should both electric fans run together? I assume so and I am guessing I need to replace the one that's not working but I would like confirmation.

2) How can I be sure the thermocouple (the main fan driven by the engine with the viscous clutch) fan is working? I know they sometimes go bad but I don't know how to test if it is working properly. It is always spinning but I can't tell if it is engaging or not.

3) I don't have any squeks or leaks for the water pump so can I assume it is OK?

Thanks!

Phil

· Registered
111 Posts
My experience with over heating is that its either a thermostat, or broken tubing. The worst I had was the whole radiator/ water pump going. Check for any leaks, at idle speeds you might not see it, have someone apply gas while parked, increased pressure makes the water come out if there is a leak. If its the thermostat then thats a dealer issue.. I dunno the state of your radiator/ water pump tho.. How often does it do this?

You can easily hear the two fans in the front, the car feels and sounds week usually when they are on. Sounds like a hyena wailing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.