Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Discovery with 91k and it's been a great vehicle. The other night I got it and started her up and flipped on the headlights and the dash lights did not come on. I also discovered that the tail lights, cruise control, glove box light and warning bell (for the headlights) were all out. I have checked the fuses and all seem to be in order. Has anyone else experienced this difficulty and can I repair this by replacing the dimmer switch or headlamp switch without spending a fortune on diagnostics. I appreciate any assistance or advice anyone might offer.

Another problem, I flashed my cooling system and I'm having a hard time getting the air out of the cooling system. This is making my Desco over heat like crazy, what can I do to fix this problem. Thanks and looking forward to your help...

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
I can help you on the overheat problem but not the electrical.
If you have a plastic tee in your upper radiator hose and if there is a large screw in it, open in up and let some of the air out from there.
The other way is to run your heater on the highest temp setting and run your idle back and forth from say 1200 to 2500 RPMs and push the air up and thru the heater core and then it will pass out thru the coolant bottle as it goes back to the radiator.
I have been told there is also a small valve on each head that can be used to vent of any air, but I have never seen them.
Good luck,
Mike j.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1995 Disco

Thanks, Mike

After I reading your reply, I read thru my shop manual. There a two small drain plugs on each head, could I crack these and let the coolant/water/air pass and then retighten them? Like bleeding off brakes lines, Is this what you are talking about? Thanks again...

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Yes, those are the one and yes you could bleed the engine from there, I would try the heater way first, it easier and quicker.
Mike J.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Regarding you electrical problems, you will need to check a couple of things.
You could have a loose earth somewhere. There are 3 earth leads under the dash and 3 under the bonnet. If these check out, you will need to go to plan B.
Plan B. Check out all multi pin wiring connector as one or more of them could have some corrosion, or, are not making contact properly due to previous work being done inside the dash.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing I have done different is pull a small trailer, which I plugged into my trailer lights on my DICSO. Could this have any thing to do with my lighting problems? If one of the lights are burned out, would this cause a short in the system. I have checked several of the light in the system and they check out OK.

· Registered
43 Posts
New member with 98 LSE

I have been reading about Disco's on the web for quite a while now. AtlanticBritish.com has a listing which stated that there are are a handful of ground connections on the Discovery's that can cause all kinds of electrical problems. It definitely sounds like you are having a ground problem, due to so many things occurring at the same time. I would check AB and see if you can find the tech tip about grounding problems.

· Registered
33 Posts
Doing something like this right at this very moment

Just for you information, as the manuals on this wont tell you.
The glove box light, Dash lights (not the radio lighting and I think the clock), the lights on alarm, and the rear pass' sidelight and side marker Light in the bumper are all on the same fuse under the steering wheel. The fuse is the one above and next too the SRS airbag fuse thats covered with a yellow shroud. I think its number 8. The handbook and manual will tell you its rear Pass' side light fuse only.
I, have found that the wire to the Glove box on/off switch was pinched in the bracket that swings down holding the relays. Also check the glove box light it’s a prime suspect. It’s a stupid plastic thing snapped in the metal glove box frame. If this is broken the metal bulb clips can short on the frame.
Also I don’t know how you are checking your fuses. But I was suckered in to getting a new MFU because my Mechanic did not do a 100% check of the fuses I.E. physically pull the fuses one by one to be absolutely sure that they are intact. Its a pain the ass but trust me I leant this the hard way. I plowed $800 in to having parts randomly replace to find it was a $10 glove box lamp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.