Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is driving me nuts.

I am not a professional mechanic, but am a pretty good amatuer.

My truck is a 1995 SE 3.9L 5-speed with 103,000 miles. I havedone all of the following in the past 18months;

'new' refurbished Bosch yellowtop injectors
new fuel filter
new wires (Beck Arnely)
new plugs (Bosh platinum II)
new ignition module
new coil (accel)
new distributor (Pertronix)
new temp sensor

Cleaned IAC
Cleaned MAF

Fuel pressure holds at 30psi or greater and does not bleed down after

The truck has always been very hard to start and still is. Now, it will start and run OK when it is cold, but when it warms up it will only run at closed throttle. As soon as I try to open the throttle it bogs out and would stall unless I let go of the throttle. Eventually it gets warmer and will not run at all, but the fuel pressure is still 30psi. It still sparks, but won't run. It is not giving any trouble diagnostic codes.

I am completely stumped.

Can anyone point me in a direction?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the compression check already also. 130-150psi all around.

Oil is "whatever is on sale" brand. :)

??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put a new MAF sensor in this week-end. No change. It still won't run when warm. Seems like it leans out when I open the throttle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you checked your tps? Also, make sure there are no leaks from the throttle body to the air filter...any holes, cracks, lose fittings will give you that condition. spray a soapy solution around the intake manifold, all the way back to the air cleaner..you've got a crap gasket, crack, or something.
Also, just for good measure, when warmed up and the condition returns, look under at the catalytic converter and make sure it's not glowing. If so, it may be plugged up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I will go look for intake leaks again.

The TPS seems to register smooth change in resistance when I move it using a multimeter. A new one is pretty pricey so i have been avoiding that.

The cats are hollow (shhh).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does your idle change at all at startup? I.e. cold start at 800-1000 rpm, then settle down to around 600? If no change, then I would suspect a frozen iac motor. If so, then you can try to reset (re sync) the plunger steps.....probably not your issue, but at this point, it's worth looking at everything.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had same issue with my 98, I cleaned the crap out of my iac and it went away.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Have you checked your temp sensor that reports the temp to the ECU?
I know you listed "temp sensor" as a new part in your original post, but.... I've had my fair share of new parts go bad.

My truck has stranded me twice because of a bad ECU temp sensor - the one mounted on the intake manifold. It would stall out and act just how you are describing. Both times, I had it towed home, and a few hours later it would start up like nothing ever happened, only to repeat the symptoms. Both times, it was a bad ECU temp sensor.

It's important to note that these trucks have two temperature sensors; one for the dash gauge and one for the ECU. At least, the 95 RRC does, and it's basically identical to the D1 mechanically.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the sensor itself is OK but I have a wiring problem on that circuit?

The sensor for the temp gauge is the angled one on the thermostat housing right? And the one for the ECU is sticking straight up in the corner of the intake closest to the dist? What is the fuel temp sensor in the fuel rail used for?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the connections at the temperature sensors and made sure they were clean and tight. I measured the resistance on both sensors and it was 1.7 and 1.8 kOhms which seams reasonable per the Lucas manual online.

Now the truck won't even fire. I can smell gas which makes me think it is an ignition problem again, but I have replaced the entire ignition system, some parts of it twice. This truck is killing me! $1000 and it is yours.

One of you mist have a clue to what is going on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just for craps and giggles, test the crankshaft position sensor. It's down by the oil pump around the pully/balancer.....you mentioned fuel, but no fire.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
Just for craps and giggles, test the crankshaft position sensor. It's down by the oil pump around the pully/balancer.....you mentioned fuel, but no fire.
I don't think the distributor engines have crank sensors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can confirm, no crank sensor on the 3.9L They batch fire the injectors based on the pulse from the ditributor to the coil.

Truck is still a yard ornament.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the update. I learn something new today! I've never even heard of batch firing....I'm learning all kinds of stuff on this forum.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Is it still for sale? Obviously somebody needs to take care of it that knows what they're doing...like me...any pics?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts