Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I initially puchased the 95' LWB from a non- Rover dealer in NY , the ABS warning light came on during my test drive. I brought it to dealers attention, their " Rover Mechanic" did something in the fuse box under the steering wheel, disconnected the battery then all was well. ABS came on but went off after driving 100 feet or so ( normal from what I understand)

Same day I proceeded to get the truck inspected by a reputable Rover guy in Ct. and nothing came up as coded or faulty during his inspection. 3 weeks ago ABS light came back on and has been on since.

Spoke to original dealer and told them the ABS came back on. Rover mechanic at dealer told me to check the fuse under the steering wheel and under the hood. Did this and fuses ok. Posted a thread a few weeks ago and Serg had a similar problem with his LWB = Faulty ABS sensor.

Took it to local Land Rover dealer here last week because I had another problem with my ignition. Car shut off completely while driving on the highway. Land Rover traced this problem back to a loose connection at the fusebox from ignition switch? While truck was at the dealer I had them look at the ABS issue. They told me they replaced ABS sensor, roadtested it, then it came back on again. After further diagnosis they overhauled the right front swivel assembly & pin bearings & seals. This was triggering the sensor. All this for a whoping cost of $1780 parts/labor.

Went back to the dealership where I bought it in NY and told them that the truck would not pass inspection with the ABS warning on. I have been trying to resolve this now for 2 weeks prior to dropping off at Land Rover. They told me they are not going to cover the cost of the repairs since I brought the truck to get repaired past my 30 day warranty period with them.

Do I have any recourse with them since this truck will not pass inspection without this ABS problem resolved and that it should have been corrected in the first place?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Sounds like the 30 days has passed.. and if they gave you a 30 day warranty on it, well that's that.. it's over and unfortunately for you, your are SOL on this one.. :dunno:

What kind of inspection does it need to pass? You have a road inspection in NY??

Serg

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
No road inspection in NY but they won't pass with any lights on. I have the same problem (ABS and SRS light). I removed the bulbs from behind the dash so I could pass inspection. I believe my ABS problem is one of the sensors and the SRS is because the vehicle is 10 years old and they need to be replaced. I also removed the fuse for the ABS since I not to fond of ABS. I don't go to any LR mechanics in the NY/NJ/CT area, do all the work myself.

Have you checked to see if the sensors are pushed in all the way (on the caliper)? How about all the connections?

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
You took the car the the STEALER????

Ohh man.. you are a glutton for punishment aren't you... Do what John did.. and pull the light... I did that once myself once.. Look Rovers are not all that hard to work on.. find a good independent wrench who has worked with them before, you and your wallet will be glad you did..

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I am not sure what the laws are in N.Y. but in most states their are saftey issues that the dealers must deal with and since you pointed it out to the selling dealer I would would go back and start the process. In Calif. if a vehicle with a brake or emission problem, as well as other saftey issues, they must be fixed prior to selling, go see what N.Y. does.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
We people are afraid to work on things themselves I try to tell them this. Ask some questions and then look at the part. Look at where the part goes.

Like Hamrendan said. These things are mechanically very simply designed. I'm no rocket scientist but I managed to change my own CV Joints after watching it once with my buddy. 6 months later I did one alone.

You can do these (abs sensors) I'm sure of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
NY inspection

NJ Rover, Is your Rover living in NJ or NY?? Obviously NJ Rover need not pass NY inspection. NY state inspection laws have changed, if any dash lights are light the car flunks. Also new emmission check upstate. How far over the 30 days were you with the original dealer?? Talk to the Sevice Manager, if this place is big enough to have a Rover tech. they must be used to customers complaints. IF THE service manager doesn't give you the right answers, demand ( in an intelligent non-emotional bitch) to see the owner of the place.Tell the owner first you bought the car from him because of his fine organization service, sales ect. but if he doesnt at least meet you half - way with this situation, you will involve the Better Buisness People or your lawer and Elliot Spitzer(NY State Attorny General). Good Dealers (oximoron) can be pushed! There could also be safety issues here. Good Luck! Hey How about that Orange Bowl !! I do agree with these other guys, Rovers are not too bad to repair, with knowledge the right TOOLS and a pioneer spirit and a good second car to drive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Went back to the selling dealer in NY , long story short they agreed to pay $1500 of the repair costs. I live in NJ so it wouldn't pass inspection with the ABS light on. Appreciate all the help on this one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts