Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 95 LWB needs medical attention -- I opted for replacement surgery! I have just ordered a kit from AB for OME springs and Bilstein shocks and am anxiously awaiting is arrival. In the meantime, can anyone share with me any words of wisdom gained from their experience in this DIY project? Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,236 Posts
Just be patient and have fun...... The end result is well worth it. It's a good project to hang out with buddies and B.S. in the garage..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay . . . parts came in and looked at the instructions. Would have been nice to have some diagrams. Oh well! The fun begins tomorrow! Andy, thanks for the links. They at least provided some photos of work being done on their site. Funrover, you've got the right idea! I just want to avoid any unnecessary trips to (a) the hardware store or (b) the emergency room! I'll report the results when completed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I finished the project and, after several days of driving around town, am very pleased with the change. Like I have seen in a previous post, my CD player only skips one time, if at all (instead of ten times with the air suspension) when I hit bumps. It is nice to gently bounce over larger bumps instead of feeling like you are being body-slammed on the first bounce. My seven year old who inhabits the back seat will also attest to this! The lift turns out to be around two inches – probably where the “extended” ride height is – and it will not change. Sure, I have to step up a little more to get in, feel a little more wind resistance (side to side) on the highway, and can’t push the button and watch it go up and down, but the comfort alone is worth it! Plus, no more worries about whether the air suspension will reinflate and get off those bump stops! If I could do this project, I would dare say almost anyone can.

Here’s the “after” picture – sorry, I forgot to take a “before” picture.

Some tips for those interested, not included in the instructions. It takes time and extra hands. Also, while some have done this project in 4-5 hours, it took me close to 7 (which included a couple of distractions!) – start early. For all the stuff under the passenger seat, I was able to locate all components to disconnect, after some initial uncertainty (no pictures in the instructions). For practical pointers, I used a small motorcycle floor jack to help lower the axle to get the springs in and to raise the axle to mount the shocks. I had to disconnect rear sway bar to install springs, also. I used a chain strap to grip the old, front shocks enough to be able break them loose from the top. Also, installing new front shocks (under the hood) required a rather large hex wrench (friend had one with a large handle on it, whew!) – without this tool, life would have been very miserable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,236 Posts
Nice Looking RRC!! I prefer the coils to the air also, glad to see you got it done... have a :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys. But, what you can't see is my next project - dealing with a "classic" brush bar that recently had the plastic coating flake off, revealing all kinds of rust. Don't quite know the best solution, yet. But, must first get the big, rusty beast off!
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top